installing a new heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpixel

Daemon Poster
Soo, when I remove my stock heatsink, and replace it with my new one, should i wipe of the thermal paste on the cpu? if so what is the safest/most effective to do this. in otherwise make it so easy a cave man can do it lol.

You should wipe off all the old thermal paste and replace it with some new Arctic Silver 5. You first have to clean both surfaces with alcohol and a cloth. Then drink some alcohol to feel more secure. Wipe till both surfaces are shiny. Which heatsink do you have? Apply a rice size to the CPU die and slap that baby on.

You should wipe off all the old thermal paste and replace it with some new Arctic Silver 5. You first have to clean both surfaces with alcohol and a cloth. Then drink some alcohol to feel more secure. Wipe till both surfaces are shiny. Which heatsink do you have? Apply a rice size to the CPU die and slap that baby on.

buying the arttic pro 7, but i keep wanting to make sure i can do everything lol. and im told i dont need to apply any paste on the heatsink. also your talking about scraping everything on top of the cpu? here is a pic i took

cpu.jpg

Take out the CPU, scrap then clean with alcohol.

someone told me on another forums that i can take a q-tip and scrape off, and then for the last bit of stuff, dip the q-tip in alchocol for the remainder of the paste. he also said its really uncessary to take the cpu out. so im debaitng what to do.

use a coffee filter and you can leave the cpu in the socket. dont use a qtip or any kind of cotton swab/pad. just try not to get the paste on the sides of the cpu. and obviously put the alcohol on the filter, not your cpu.

There is no harm in removing the cpu. You could take it out and put it in the dish washer if you wanted to. I would recommend turning off the heat drying cycle, I'm not sure how hot that gets. Alot of people are still in the frame of mind that you should never touch computer parts if you can avoid it, or that should be done in some sort of lab. Components have come along way since their inception. The two biggest risks you have to face with them is too much power (lightning strikes) or too little (bad PSU or brownouts). Other than that, take a little precaution about static discharge, don't use your hard drive to rub a grape juice stain out of your shag carpet, and you will be fine. Case in point I had a P3 processor that I would comb my short hair with, one day I slapped it in an old pc we had in the office, after cleaning off the dandruff, and it worked just fine. It may still be there running the timeclock, who knows...

As a side note, when you take a picture of some small object like that use the Macro function of your camera. It makes a world of difference.

sorry for the long post

thats quite possibly the crappiest advice i've ever heard (no offense to those of you with even crappier advice).
yay yer put your cpu in the dishwasher, i'll just clean mine off. as for the short hair thing...um, ugh?
touching your computer parts with care, or cleaning them CORRECTLY is a long way from droppin em in the ol dishwasher for a round or two.
c'mon dude you cant be tellin things like that or the next post will be:
"quazibee told me i could wash my sh*t in an appliance...wtf?"
you could put it in the dishwasher, sure. and when you crank it up agian, it aint gonna work. dude, c'mon. why not tell people that they can clean their radios in the bathtub?

there is nothing wrong with taking the CPU out...when you do just don't touch the bottoms that much. LGA socket doesn't actually have pins to bend on them but still just touch the golden "pins" as little as possible and use a coffee filter and alcohol as Nagasama stated...it works great as there is no lint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom