Thinking about an HTPC....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodonebales

In Runtime
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about building an HTPC for my dad. What would I need, and approximately how much would I need to spend to get a good one that would handle DVR better than TiVo or whatever Comcast would give me, as well as play and upconvert DVDs flawlessly, and be HDTV compatible. I also have a Bose Lifestyle surround sound system that I'd need to hook up. The TV is the Sony KF-42WE610, I think it's Rear Projection LCD if that sounds right? and Resolution is 1386x788. More specs can be found here:
Sony KF-42WE610 Specs. Projection TVs Specifications.

I'd say you could spend around $400 base and build a pretty nice one. Add onto that however many big *** HDs you want for space.

Brisbane x2 3600, a gig of ram or so in one of those neat HTPC cases with a winTV card.

goodonebales, honestly, if you wanna throw some power down HTPC alley, you should opt for atleast 4gb of ram, and a qx6700. also, to ensure futureproofing, get the hddvd/bluray combo drives, (2 of them) to make sure everything can copy from one disc to another. that should set you up pretty good, atleast for the next.....2-3weeks.

One problem you might run into is that TV tuners cannot capture anything above 480i. So if you get HD channels through your cable provider, you wont get them at 1080p/i like you would normally.

Edit:If the person above me is not being 100% sarcastic then hes an idiot. Don't listen to him...

Jumping_Bean, there are absolutely no TV tuners that can do it? And don't cable companies broadcast in like, 720p anyways? I wasn't sure, but i thought I had heard that. Anyways, Riznarf, you should probably be banned for longer than a week this time. Do everyone a favor and fall down the stairs.

Edit: Me and Riznarf are friends, he was just yanking my chain, as I was his.

Jumping_Bean, there are absolutely no TV tuners that can do it? And don't cable companies broadcast in like, 720p anyways? I wasn't sure, but i thought I had heard that. Anyways, Riznarf, you should probably be banned for longer than a week this time. Do everyone a favor and fall down the stairs.

please let it be known i have never met this....goodonebales in my life. he seems to be a conniving anarchist who clearly worships the devil as noted in his previous posts.

you're right, everything i know i read from the magazine 'Seventeen'. Don't listen to me.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ever.

As far as I know there aren't any that do higher then 480i. Also, at my girlfriend's house (who gets all the HD channels), she gets a few 1080i channels like sports and discovery I believe. But if you don't get HD channels it wont be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom