Removing stock HSF from LGA Socket 775

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are replacing your HSF all you need to do is clean the heat spreader on the CPU off (the heatspreader is the flat surface on the CPU where the HSF touches). I personally just leave the chip in the motherboard and whip it off.

So you opened the socket and then closed it? You can try resetting the BIOS, most likely your motherboard will have a jumper that allows you to do this, if not I believe removing the battery on the mobo and leave it out for like 1 minute should reset it.

Also, usually once you remove a HSF you usually have to replace the thermal grease/pad, as it loses it's integrity after you remove.

Do you mean the AF7? That one comes with a MX-1 pad so you don't need to replace the thermal grease.

If you are replacing your HSF all you need to do is clean the heat spreader on the CPU off (the heatspreader is the flat surface on the CPU where the HSF touches). I personally just leave the chip in the motherboard and whip it off.

So you opened the socket and then closed it? You can try resetting the BIOS, most likely your motherboard will have a jumper that allows you to do this, if not I believe removing the battery on the mobo and leave it out for like 1 minute should reset it.

Also, usually once you remove a HSF you usually have to replace the thermal grease/pad, as it loses it's integrity after you remove.

Do you mean the AF7? That one comes with a MX-1 pad so you don't need to replace the thermal grease.

so by me removing my HSF i might have done something wrong without replaving thermal greese? lol

Well, that wouldn't cause the CMOS to act up, it would only increase your temperature.

well that computer is now shut off, i removed the heatsink again and ordered my artic pro 7.

I think what I got was the BIOS POST message, but I cant do anything else b/c my stock hsf is removed, and im not going to put it back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom