Upgrading 2 computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enraged Mongol

Solid State Member
Well, its that time again. By "time", I am referring to the tedious, yet enjoyable task of upgrading computers. Sadly, I havent had this pleasure in a couple of years so the systems I will list are going to be quite ancient.

There are two builds in the spotlight, my brothers PC, and mine.

My computer is the following:

AMD 64 3000+ (Socket 754 YIKES!!!!!!)
1.5 GB PC3200 Ram
Nvidia 6800
250 GB HDD

This is what I am considering on upgrading.
Motherboard - Biostar TFORCE 550
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
A-DATA Value Series (2 x 1GB DDR2 800 ram)
Newegg.com - A-DATA Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
AMD 64 X2 3600
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail
EVGA Nvidia 7600GT
Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

I am upgrading to AM2 simply because my computer is getting too slow. It is my plan to get the Puma or Agena as soon as it comes out. That is why the processor I chose is not top of the line. I also chose the 7600GT because it is an upgrade from what I am using now, but still cheap. I dont want to splurge on something stupid like the 8x00 series. I will wait for the 9800GTS to come out in a bit. This upgrade is to last me until next year when I will get the DX10 card, and the new CPU(which is when i will upgrade to vista).

The other part of the puzzle is for my brothers PC. He has a Dell Inspiron 2400 or something ****** like that. We have a spare 200 GB HDD, and a bunch of DVD burners laying around. I have chosen the following parts for him. (Keep in mind that my sibling does not engage in activities such as computer gaming).

ASRock 4Core Dual VSTA
Newegg.com - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA LGA 775 VIA PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel Dual-Core E2140
Newegg.com - Intel Dual-Core E2140 Allendale 1.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
FSP Group 400Watt PSU
Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN ATX12V 400W Power Supply 120/220 - 240v NEMKO, TUV, CSA, IEC, UL, CE - Retail
Rosewill Case
Newegg.com - Rosewill R6422-P SL Black/ Silver SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Using these parts, plus 1 GB of ram from my old PC, and the HDD and DVD drive, my bro can get a brand new PC. The reason I chose that particular mobo is because it supports C2D without needing new RAM. He will also take possession of my 6800 as his graphics card. This way, he can have a basic computer for his type of use.

Does anyone see any problems with these two setups? My dad has granted me a budget of around $500 to $550 dollars. This entire thing will cost about $500, so if anyone can re-arrange anything to make it better, feel free.

Just keep in mind, I plan on upgrading soon, and my brother does not play games. There are two computers, one needs upgrading and one is a new build with some old parts salvaged from my old PC(HDD and dvd drive are in the house).

Thanks for all your help.

Yeah, the FSP is for my brother.

I have a 580Watt PSU on my current one that I think should be good for that 9800.

How do the builds look?

Does anything need to be subsituted?

I don't think 500 dollars to upgrade both computers is enough. In my opinion, you should save up and upgrade to better hardware. If you want to wait for the 9800, why not live with the current setup for a little longer and buy the new processors/ram/video cards that'll be out on Q4.

am2+ is required for Phenom, but u can use it on AM2 boards, don't get that A-DATA, cuz for 10$ u can get g-skill NQ's which burn those... and u can overclock if u want to...

but if u want Puma or Agena u can't use those boards.... but my recommendation is to hold of buying and get a new system later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom