Sony Develops Computing Board, powered by the Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ps3 has every ps2 and play station game includ3ed because it is backwards compatible, which is more than can be said for the Xbox 360's bad compatibility.

I have yet to have a problem with compatibility with my 360. Though it is true not all game are backwards compatible for the console, they tried to do it for most of its popular games. It's a cool feature, but I don't buy new systems to play old games anyways...

And i don't see why people complain about the price tag so much. Look how much you pour into a pc!

Yes, a PC and a game console are both types of computers but PCs serve much more then a game machine to most people. They cannot be compared in price.

Besides the ps3 has more potential than jsut being a console, it can be a Blu-ray player ( those cost $1k alone), a media center, and a super computer given the right software.

Congrats, you've just named everything that the 360 can do as well... Just replace Blu-Ray with HD DVD. Also, the 360 has Xbox live which the PS3 has yet to compete with (One of the main reasons I favor the 360 of the PS3).

The floating point power of the Cell is amazing, and even tho it lags way behind desktop chips in some more general areas, set to the right software and the right tasks the cell can out run any Core2 chip.

Regardless of the power, the development kits for the console a still not taking full potential of it and developers do not like to write for it.

Devs do not like to write for it for the same reaosn that windows isnt 64bit only and that it isnt multithreaded. Programmers are olazy and slow to change. And yes it is hard to program but the benefits IMO outweigh the cons.

The 360 is nowhere near as powerful as the ps3. And maybe you don't play older games but I know for a fact a lot of people play classic titles and like to use the same box to do so as the new ones.

Also the price of consoles has steadily incresed over the years mostly due to inflation. When the NES came around it was $85 or so and it was thought of as expensive.

A lot of people bash the ps3 but I think its a great little box, it may very well loose this generations console war but of the people who boned up the cash for one they are loyal fans so i doubt it will simply disappear.

As for Xbox live you got me there, the Xbox is the only console to date to have a successful online framework. I personally dont like Xbox Live it think its annoying and too restrictive, but being as its the only option you cant fight it.

No, the NES cost $200 when it came out for the normal edition and $250 for the deluxe...

Consoles that have costed more signifigantly have failed...Saturn...3DO...Ps3...

what about the ps2 xbox and gamecube? all of last generations consoles were about equal in price, are yo usaying they all failed?

oh and sega channel>Xbox Live

Devs do not like to write for it for the same reaosn that windows isnt 64bit only and that it isnt multithreaded. Programmers are olazy and slow to change. And yes it is hard to program

this is true deveopers are slow to change we ALREADY knew that
so why didnt sony realize this hen they were making their console???
they knew **** well that developers werent going to like having to do all the extra work for the ps3, but they didnt care.

all sony cared about was "omg we have blu ray which is new !!!!!"
their own fault if you ask me

No i think they went ahead because Cell is a good idea. Devs in general are lazy and want to code for the platform for the end of time. The main reason with electronics nowadays isnt the hardware its the software coders wont get off their bums and write something a bit more efficient.

And Sega Channel < Xbox live, thats why it failed. Xbox live is the only console based online solution that has been successful so far, not to say that it doesn't have bugs, which it has many, but it works.

And why do you have to pay for xbox live? what a dumb idea IMO, that like paying gamespy to play on someone else's server.

same reason you have to pay monthly for mmorpgs
plus its less then 5 bucks a month
put a quarter in a jar once a day and its more then payed for at the end of the month

what about the ps2 xbox and gamecube? all of last generations consoles were about equal in price, are yo usaying they all failed?

No, they all actually did pretty well because they were about the same price as the majority of other successful consoles like the NES which remains the most sold Console in history. Super Mario Bros sold over FORTY million copies.

The 360 is pushing the price limit a bit, but not too much. However, the wii is going to kick its *** in sales once the wii starts being so available you know you'll get one by going to the store.

The saturn was more expensive than most consoles; it failed.

The 3DO was more expensive than most consoles; It failed.

The PS3 is more expensive than most Console; It will fail eventually.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the consoles. People don't want to spend that much on a console. When the consoles don't get sales, the gaming companies drop out, so it has no games...and that's a death sentence.

I'm not saying the PS3 is a better/worse console, I'll let the fanboys sort that out...however, its selling worse, and I predicted it long before it came out, and am now showing why I felt/feel it happened.

IM not saying that it will win or fail, im simply stating that technically speaking the 360 isn't beating it out.

and yeah i think theWwii will come out on top here. all my friends have one and they are fun. Im a pc gamer so i wont go that route but as far as their economic performance goes i think the Wii will take the gold.

I have a wii as well and though the console is selling like hot cakes there aren't any games for it. I'm still waiting Nintendo... Are you going to come out with a game for my $250 paper weight? It seams like people buy a wii, play the crap out of wii sports and thats it. you can't make money that way, the money is in the licensing of the games not the console itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom