Windows Vista crashing ridiculously from counter-strike and others

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanwest

In Runtime
Sometimes when I play counter-strike 1.6 or counter-strike source, i will exit the game and it wont exist. so i press ctrl alt del, and 'hl2.exe' will NOT close. it jsut wont. it will say not responding and ask me do i want to end it but it doesnt! so i decide i will restart or shut down, but when i do it does not shut down either! it just stays there!!!! i have to hold the button on front of my comptuer(what do u call the box which contains the cd drives and hard drive agian?) to turn off. then some times it even gets stuck on the dell loading screen so i have to do it again.

I have only encountered this when i do not disconnect from the game before i quit the application.

My best advice try to disconnect from the game/server first then shut down the application. If it still persists then...well something is wrong cause other than the situation i described i have not come across any other issues.

It still crashes the computer even when I'm disconnected, and nothing is happening including no servers being searched for or anything. Occasionalyl I will be able to log off, and hence log back in and shut down, but usually even that doesn't do anything and
the computer stays like it is and I have to hold the power button.

CTRL-ALT-DEL! With Vista the key combination there will bring up a blue screen with the options to shutdown, restart, or return to the desktop. It's better then seen with XP's crash control now seen in the new version of Windows. Steam has locked up here on occasion with HL1 +2 as well as EP1. EP1 would crash in one particular spot in one map and another specific spot in the next initially due to beta sound drivers. The task manager does work better for this in Vista.

CTRL-ALT-DEL! With Vista the key combination there will bring up a blue screen with the options to shutdown, restart, or return to the desktop. It's better then seen with XP's crash control now seen in the new version of Windows. Steam has locked up here on occasion with HL1 +2 as well as EP1. EP1 would crash in one particular spot in one map and another specific spot in the next initially due to beta sound drivers. The task manager does work better for this in Vista.

No I tried this every time already, restart never works, neither does hsutdown.

One thing you could try is disabling the auto load of the Steam engine to see if that's where the problem is. That will keep it from loading along with Windows at boot.

Have you installed anything new lately? When trying out a free spam fighting tool nothing in Windows worked the next day upon startup. IE would come upto a blank page only. A right click on the desktop heard the wav file assigned but not menu. That was more involved there however.

You may have to reinstall the game all over if you can't find the cause from something else installed on the system including video and sound drivers being corrupted or missing.

One thing you could try is disabling the auto load of the Steam engine to see if that's where the problem is. That will keep it from loading along with Windows at boot.

Have you installed anything new lately? When trying out a free spam fighting tool nothing in Windows worked the next day upon startup. IE would come upto a blank page only. A right click on the desktop heard the wav file assigned but not menu. That was more involved there however.

You may have to reinstall the game all over if you can't find the cause from something else installed on the system including video and sound drivers being corrupted or missing.

The auto load was already disabled before I asked the question.

Nothing has been installed lately except for HLSW, which I use simply because steam favourites doesn't work.

Which edition of Vista are you running there? Here I've been running the Home Premium version with Steam games, Fear(requiring DX9 be installed), Prey, and even some older games where a few newer 2005 games won't even install. The HL2 Episode One was the one to see problems due to Creative's hesitance to release newer drivers for the Audigy line of cards.

Metal of Honor: Allied Assault was one game that simply refused to go on. Game or new OS? maybe video or sound drivers not working? This would be typical for the new version of Windows so far. Try disabling any antivirus or firewall programs you have installed. Antivirus programs are known for causing issues in games and other apps at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom