Dying inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redmo0n

Techalicious
As the title reads I'm dying inside. (oh and this is my first post :happy: )

I recently discovered very bad performance issues when i was gaming, first i noticed this on Counter-Strike 1.6 where i was getting between 20-70 fps (80ish at startup). Later i tried to play Counter-Strike Source, in which i basically cried at the fps i was getting (2-11).

This is also happening on regular programs like Firefox and VLC media player where i noticed that they are taking a bit longer to open (and sometimes close).

First i thought it might have been either a background process hog or a virus/spyware. I came across nothing (scanned with multiple applications). Then i thought it might have been either a old video card driver or a bad overclock setting. Thus also did not turn up anything (upgraded to latest ati driver and closed down gpu overclock). Then i tried looking for conflicts or other issues with the steam diagnostic, still no results. I later tried a number of things from re-installing, Replacing the CS openGL file with my video cards openGL file (supposedly fixes for some people :freak: ) and even defraging with Diskeeper (on both C:, videos/games/etc. and D:, system/small installs).

My last hope is the people (which on 1.6 yelled at me for writing about fps problems and told me to get some aim :snob: )

Someone please help me!, the only thing i can possibly think of is that i might need a new CPU.

Here are my system specs. It usually is quite cool and the GPU stays about 48-52 C

Windows XP SP2
PSU: 430W
CPU: Intel Celeron 346, CPU 3.06Ghz
Motherboard: Intel D945GTP,BIOS date 04/11/2006,PCI-Express support (x16)
RAM: 1024MB Dual Channel 2x512mb, 266.7Mhz
Graphics Card: Sapphire X1950GT, 256mb PCI x16
Sound: Basic Realtek (don't no specifics)
Hard Drive: 250gig western digital (i think? :rolleyes: ), 222gig main, 10.7 system crap

Edit: I also CClean, Registry Clean and Spyware/Anti-Virus Regularly

HOLY MOTHER OF ****EN CHRIST

i don't mean to be blasphemous or rude but WTF!!!!

someone please help

I just discovered my CPU is running at a whopping 81-83 degrees Celsius, im pretty sure that is FUKEN hot :eek:

Someone please tell me what i should do to cool it down!

i think it possibly could be overclocked :eek:

Oh and btw memory scan revealed no errors :)

hehe ./ right. first of all you can check if its overclocked simply by right clicking my computer and clicking properties. That will show your cpu , its factory speed and its actualy speed. Make sure your cooler is on properly . I recomend some artic silver 5 thermal paste for your cooler.. if its a stock cooler it probably has a crappy thermal pad on it

Hehe :happy:

Well I'm glad to say that i have got my CPU down to 41 degrees

I opened it up while it was on to see if any cords/other where screwing with the fans or cpu, and at the moment while staring into the case i remembered i haven't cleaned the dust out of my pc in about a year :laughing:

Well i removed about a 2inch layer of dust on the fan of the cpu and also cleaned the GFX card (which is running maybe 1 degree cooler) and ram etc.

It seems a 30min blast from a vacuum cleaner can do just about anything :rolleyes:

Oh and also i tried CS and I'm glad to say its at a 80-100 fps rate :happy:

Thank you to bmxfreakrider since he said to check my CPU temp (81 degrees soon would have turned to 90 or 100) and + i leave my pc torrenting when I'm at school and asleep so you either saved me $100 cpu, $700 or so PC, $400,000 house or even my life :p

And also thanks to OatesyX, i will take your suggestion on board since some people say that cpu should be about 35 degrees not 40-42.

P.S Also a big thanks to Tech Forums for having such a helpful community :D

EDIT: My CPU seems to suggest its being overclocked by 0.01GHz :p

CASE CLOSED!

yea no problem man, as soon as I heard that it was slowing down, i remembered this video that I watched that said that cpu's slow down to prevent a potental core meltdown (no joke) and first thing that poped into my head is it sounded like a power cable got lodged in the fan for the cpu.

and i had to type it all with a mouse, my kb was on another pc that im setting up for my dad, who just got a nice new 19" widescreen that has a pretty nice blue stuck pixel, lol. $199 not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom