(RAM) CPU-Z and PC Wizard Detect, BIOS and Windows Dont?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perception

Beta member
Hey Guys

First I'll give you some specs

Mobo: GA-8S661FXMP-RZ
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz w/HT
RAM: 512MB of Kingston RAM

So I went out yesterday and bought an extra stick of 512MB Kingston RAM, same type, same timing and everything. I put it in my computers 2nd slot and booted up. Everything works fine and I get in to Windows. The thing is, the BIOS, and my Windows don't detect the extra 512MB but when I run programs like CPU-Z and PC Wizard 2007 which list your specs, it shows 1024 MB of RAM :S.

Now although those two programs show 1024 MB, they say that the 2nd slot in my computer for RAM is empty, which is obviously not the case :S

I tried just booting up with the new RAM and it worked, then I tried booting with my old RAM in the 2nd slot and it would still only read the RAM in the 1st slot. I was leaning towards the fact that it's because the 2nd slot is bad, but PC Wizard is able to tell me exactly which RAM I have in the 2nd slot (Although it lists it as being empty).

Anyone have any idea to what's the problem here?
Thanks in advance.

It would be normal for your computer not to boot if you only had the ram in the second slot. The first slot is the motherboards base memory. And if you swapped the chips and it worked fine then the ram isn't bad. I would check for any BIOS updates for your motherboard first.
Second, does the computer feel like it runs faster? Is there a noticeable difference performance wise? If you see a difference then just go with it. Windows/ BIOS can't properly detect the new memory but addresses it anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom