AMD / Intel Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
a quad core is a quadcore even if its 2 x 2 or 1 x 4, both equal four... so its all good !!

Yeah im not reading all of that. But im sure apokalipse or b1g has already made this point.

Actually there is a difference. The 2 dual cores in the Intel Quads aren't on the same die and have to communicate through some form of interface, in this case the FSB whereas in a true quad all of the cores are connected on one die and they communicate directly. Essentially the current Intel quads are the same thing as having 2 physical dual cores in separate sockets on the motherboard, just in a different form factor.

Why didn't somebody explain it like this at the beginning? I was thinking the same thing: 4=4. Now I understand the difference. I'm not educated enough to know if it equals a performance difference, but now I see the physical difference. Thanks.

true theres a difference, but it really doesn't matter to me... for me i'd be happy with a q6600 even when there are Yorkfields or Phenoms out xD

Yeah most people here areb happy with the next chip down from the top. I have an s939 Opty 165 and its just fine for me, and before i replace it it will be 3 sockets behind. This spring im looking into making me one for college, obviously going quad and hopefully the Phenoms will be the way to go.

im not i'm just checkin out nagasmas "not buying from big names"
statement

um, i never made that statement. you're the one that suggested i couldn't "go through life" (MY life lol no less) without buying merchandise from big name companies. i stated my opinion. i base my opinion on the idea that intel already has a controlling interest in the computer industry, and that it seems to me they are rushing production of their 45nm cpus. the reason i think they are rushing said cpus is that they are aware (somehow) that k10 is going to smoke their 65nm cpus. i could be wrong, which is why i start this statement and my previous ones with "i think". its called an opinion, albeit an educated opinion...its still an opinion.

another opinion is that my coffee at home kicks the sh*t out of starbucks. although i dont have a cute little green apron to wear.
in fact, there are many small coffee shops, in my opinion lol, that are immensely better than starbucks.
not buying everyhthing that the media tells you is "the best" or whatever = thinking outside the box. some of us are more successful with doing that than others.

whats with that jessica alba thing? whoever posted, that was just odd, mmmkay keep those thoughts in your sock drawer.

Personally I think K10 has a good shot at taking down Penryn. Die shrinks decrease power usage and heat but its still the same chip. The cash is the same size, the fsb is the same, the IPC is the same, so other than letting them run a little cool i don;t think the 45nm shrink will make any big difference.

hopefully amd does well with their next processor... X_X
but i cant really see them beating intel like they did with their athlon 64

whats with that jessica alba thing? whoever posted, that was just odd, mmmkay keep those thoughts in your sock drawer.

Sigh...people can't make jokes on the forums? Lighten up guys!

On a serious note I also hope AMD can come back with a better option. My consumer opinion on AMD was that the tended to make better than or equally better processors than intel and for a lower price. Heck, if there was a decent third and fourth company I'd love that all the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom