motherboard chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunadan1821

Baseband Member
Hey all, I am looking at motherboards to use with a P4 w/HT cpu. I have found several that would work just great but there is one thing im kinda confused about. The chipset on the boards are all different and I was wondering how to understand it. What is the difference between them? which is better? Higher number=faster?

Higher number is faster. For example i think the lowest is 845. then i have an old 850. But the most current models you mostly see are 865 and 875. 875 is the best out right now. Also you see letters after them i know perl means no onboard video and g means it has onboard video

ahh.. I see. Now do you know anything about what the socket number means? All I see are 478 socket, but I was told of another (7 somthing) Is that for a 64b processor?

socket placement numbers on your mother board Must match the socket number on your cpu, because if it doesnt, the cpu will not function with the mother board.. most pentium 4 (including mine in the sig) are socket 478.. I went with the abit is7-e mobo (80 bucks on newegg) and it works just fine.. unless you need the onboard sound, video etc.. (which are crappy anyway) get the is7-e, dont spend higher on anyhting else..

What OS are you running? I was going to go with the intel D865GBFL just because I figured that since I am building it for XP that keeping with the company family would minimize problems. Maybe it doesn't work that way tho.lol

windows XP, no problems what soever.. the oinly problem that I am having is incrroect temperature readings.. now im not sure if abit is the culrpit inthis case, and I DID hear stories in the past of abit mobo's showing incorrect temp readings.. other then that though, everything is very stable.. this 80 dollar mobo has everything you need..even firewire support.

Dryice, I was looking at that mobo and under that fsb it said that the values were only good for northwood cpus. What does that mean? What does FSB mean.

the "only good for northwood" part was for the 333-400mhz fsb cpu's only.. but anyway, I would recommend northwood p4's either way, better then prescotts, because prescotts have big overheating issues.. but anyway..

fsb = front side bus. newer cpu's usualy have higher fsb. FSB speed (in mhz) determains how fast your cpu works with your mother board.. the higher, the better. the cpu I have (form northwood) has 800mhz fsb, very good for today's demands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom