DVD Drive Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitevision88

Baseband Member
I recently added a hard drive to my PC and switched some things around relative to IDE cables, etc in order to get the other hard drive to work.

Right now I'm dual booting XP and Vista, but anyways - for some reason, my DVD drive has begun to suck, badly.

I have an X800 Pro 256mb video card, 1 gig of ram - and in XP (haven't tried in Vista) the DVD player is choppy and keeps skipping on all DVDs I put in. I've also tried to rip some DVDs with DVD Shrink and what used to be a 15-25 minute process has now begun to exceed 2 hours+. I'm thinking that the drive is totally messed up, or I did something funky with the cables, but does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm planning on reworking the wiring in the case to fix this problem, in addition to reformatting the hard drive (Vista has ceased to function for no apparent reason), but does anyone have anything that would be a temporary fix or something less involved?

I have experienced this problem first hand myself. It sounds like Vista put that IDE channel into PIO mode. Which accounts for the slow transfer speeds. I don't have Vista so I hope the control panels setup are the same or close.

Do this:
Go to Control Panel
Open up System
Go to Hardware tab
Click Device Manager Button
Click the + next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Now look for Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel. There may be two with the same name.
Double click on each one and look for this under the Advanced Settings tab:

Transfer Mode and Current Transfer Mode.
If you see PIO only for any of these, then this is your problem. If you can, set it back to DMA if available. You might now be able to change it back like me. What I did was close that window and remove that controller from the list in device manager. I then rebooted and Windows re installed or detected it again and it was back into DMA mode.

Windows puts devices into PIO for a number of reasons. What did it to me was I was ripping a large number of used discs. Many consecutive read errors caused Windows to put my the controller channel into PIO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom