I'm trying to build a comp...I need som help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadrunner1659

Baseband Member
First off i wanted to say hello to everyone out thier on these forums! Hopefully you all can lend me a helping hand so i can finally order a computer.

I'll begin by letting you all know what i am looking for:

I am a college student (but i live at home)...i'm looking for a desktop. I would like a computer that handles all of my students needs first and foremost (writing papers, creating powerpoints, internet...etc.)

Outside of the basic stuff, i want a computer from music, movies, games, and tv (i would like to hook up are verizon fios to my comp)...

Music is music not much to talk about their...im thinking a 7.1 sound card or running off of the motherboard...

Movies and TV...i would like to watch movies and television through my comp...i would like the picture to resemblethat clarity, sharpness, and bright colors of HD...

Games...i dont do alot of gaming but i have played CS on my brothers comp and i wouldn't hold it to me to play games on my comp (basically i would like the ability)

From their i will break it down into what i am looking for...hopefully you will be able to help from all of this!

Processor - atleast a Intel Core 2 Duo (i would like a fast computer)

Motherboard - a buddy of mine suggested the ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Screen - 20 to 24 inch screen (widscreen LCD flat panel) i would like a really good screen

DVD/CD Burner (i would like to be able to play HD DVD's if that doesn't cost an arm and a leg)...

Memory - im looking from anywhere between 250GB and 500GB (more the better)

Video Card - i picked out one of the higher end cards but i am not sure whether or not i truely need all of that card... EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

Power Supply - i understand that this is an area where bigger is better so to speak...so i was thinking about a 500W or as high as 600W...

Ram - i have no idea

Case - i have no idea (i would like something somewhat flashy and yet something that keeps the air flowing to keep things cool)

Sound Card - not sure if i need one or if i can run off of my mother board...if not i will prolly just go with a creative labs 7.1 or something like that

Keyboard and Mouse - Wireless

TV Tuner - i have no idea

Hopefully all of this help and dont be fooled i dont know that much about comps i have been given alot of help from my borther and a few friends, but i want to make sure i get what i want and what i truely need rather then buying all of the expensive stuff...i understand that comps are expensive but i want to know i am getting my moneys worth and that it will be used rather then having and never ever coming close to using the full ability...

Price - im thinking about being in the ballpark of 1300...i priced out a dell for 1300 and my buddy who is an IT guy called one of his repts and was able to get basically the same comp for 800...but i am hear for help!

Thanks!

Hey roadrunner1659,
Welcome to T.F.!!

Case - Cooler Master Elite 330
Motherboard - Gigabyte P35-DS3R
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
RAM - 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 CAS4
Graphics - EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Power Supply - Corsair 520HX (from buy.com)
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 16MB Cache
Optical Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner
Keys & Mouse - Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse
Monitor - Hanns-G 19" 5ms Widescreen
Optional Aftermarket HSF - Arcitc Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (from svc.com)

This comes to around $1200+.

I'm not familiar with what's a good TV Tuner, so let somebody else suggest one.

You don't really need a sound card, unless you're really really picky. Other than that, onboard sound on motherboards these days, are pretty decent, and usually support surround sound now.

Well you don't need an 8800GTS to play CS, but I put it there in case you're wanting to play future games. If you want to save a little money, and upgrade to a mid range 9 series later, I'll suggest the Sapphire X1950XT. That would save you almost $100, right there.

In my opinion, a wireless keyboard and mouse isn't as good as wired. You always have to worry about batteries, charging them, and theres always going to be a little bit of lag. But that's up to you.

Hey roadrunner1659,
Welcome to T.F.!!

Case - Cooler Master Elite 330
Motherboard - Gigabyte P35-DS3R
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
RAM - 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 CAS4
Graphics - EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Power Supply - Corsair 520HX (from buy.com)
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 16MB Cache
Optical Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner
Keys & Mouse - Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse
Monitor - Hanns-G 19" 5ms Widescreen
Optional Aftermarket HSF - Arcitc Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (from svc.com)

This comes to around $1200+.

I'm not familiar with what's a good TV Tuner, so let somebody else suggest one.

You don't really need a sound card, unless you're really really picky. Other than that, onboard sound on motherboards these days, are pretty decent, and usually support surround sound now.

Well you don't need an 8800GTS to play CS, but I put it there in case you're wanting to play future games. If you want to save a little money, and upgrade to a mid range 9 series later, I'll suggest the Sapphire X1950XT. That would save you almost $100, right there.

Try Finding These Things On: Pricewatch | Lower prices on computers, laptops, mp3 players, motherboards, computer parts and electronics For the best price! ^^!! (I hope this is Helpfull!!)

b1gapl thank you for the responce!

i was wonder, but with this setup, would you believe that this is a good gaming computer just in case i begin to play more games?

thanks!

This is a really good gaming computer, if you plan on playing more than CS. Right now, if you choose to go with the 8800GTS, you can play any current game out there.

cool well thanks for the help! now i just need some help from the poeple that know about TV tuners so that i can watch the tele through my comp!

I have this monitor, and love it! You would'nt be disappointed with it: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 216BW Black-Silver 21.6" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 3000:1(1000:1) - Retail

For the TV tuner:

- I have read many articles proclaiming that the ATI TV Wonder Elite is the best, but it is around $150... so if money isn't a problem (which I'm sure, being a college student, money isn't easy), I would say get that.

However, the eVGA NVTV has better quality, and is $62. I would personally go with this one. EVGA | Community

well i think at this point i know for sure the motherboard i will use and i think it will be the ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard...

i know that this is a good starting point for a comp so if the techs out their are will to help me build from this that would be fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom