Wanting a High Performance Gaming Computer On A Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmboy

Baseband Member
hello, this is my first post, and first thread. I'm wanting to get a high performance gaming computer for myself. I will also being using this computer for school work, so keep that in mind. First of all, My budget is, around $1,600. I mean around that much. I'm wanting a computer that is available in Canada, I'm mostly going to be playing First Person shooters, World Of Warcraft, And Command and Conquer style games. If you would like to, could you configure a computer, that is available in Canada, i do not want to deal with border crap, and is great for gaming.

Wants:
20"-22" LCD Flat panel Monitor
2g-4g RAM
512mb Radeon Video Card or a geforce 8800 ultra 768 mb(I dont know about this one its allot of money)
Killer Interface Card
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
Speakers And Subwoofer
Vista
Good cooling system

And more things.. I do not know much about computers, And i would like your help.

Thanks I appreciate your help.

P.S. I know you guys get allot of this stuff, but its my last resort, i tried getting my brother to help me, but he is too full of himself of his ASUS laptop that he is to "busy" to help, or most likely he's just to darn lazy.

First off, is $1600 in canadian or US?

Second, you don't want a wireless keyboard/mouse if you're gaming and the killer interface card doesn't do sheet.

do you really want vista??? I would reccomend xp as its less hassle but if you REALLY want vista then its upto you we can accommodate that into a build.

I am not Canadian so this build might ot be completely accurate to your budget but it should be around that price:

mobo: msi platinum
ram: 2x1gb if going with xp, if vista then 2x2gb of a good brand ddr2 6400 (800mhz) good brands are: Geil, Corsair, G-skill, kingston, OCZ and Crucial
cpu: e6750
gfx: 8800gtx the ULTRA is a waste of cash as its the best card it is completely overpriced. The 8800gtx is the 2nd best and can play any game out at the highest settings
Psu: 520hx Corsair
optical drive: any named brand
case: Antec 900 has great stock cooling unless you want to cut back your hardware a bit and have it watercooled???
cpu cooler: artic freezer 7 or tuniq tower 120
keyboard: any you don't want wireless it lags in gaming
mouse: Razor copperhead
speakers: logitech whichever fits in the price at the end they're all good speaker sets
monitor: a samsung, dell or my personal favourite the Viewsonic X series

Why would you want an interface card???

First off, is $1600 in canadian or US?

Second, you don't want a wireless keyboard/mouse if you're gaming and the killer interface card doesn't do sheet.

$1,600 US or Canadian... They aren't that far apart anymore :D $52 CND for $50 USD :D

Killer interface cards are suspose to lower your ping correct? I don't have the best internet, no i don't have dial up. And my pings are around the 400 mark. It could be the crappy computer I'm on, or my internet just sucks.

Computer im on right now.
504MB RAM (says in the DxDiag)
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz
Windows XP
RADEON 7500 64.0 MB
Realtek AC97 Audio

My brother told me to go to speedtest.net and this is what i got

164366105.png

The ping is good in the test, but when i go to play a game.. It jumps around from 100's to the 600's... its never constant.

do you really want vista??? I would reccomend xp as its less hassle but if you REALLY want vista then its upto you we can accommodate that into a build.

I am not Canadian so this build might ot be completely accurate to your budget but it should be around that price:

mobo: msi platinum
ram: 2x1gb if going with xp, if vista then 2x2gb of a good brand ddr2 6400 (800mhz) good brands are: Geil, Corsair, G-skill, kingston, OCZ and Crucial
cpu: e6750
gfx: 8800gtx the ULTRA is a waste of cash as its the best card it is completely overpriced. The 8800gtx is the 2nd best and can play any game out at the highest settings
Psu: 520hx Corsair
optical drive: any named brand
case: Antec 900 has great stock cooling unless you want to cut back your hardware a bit and have it watercooled???
cpu cooler: artic freezer 7 or tuniq tower 120
keyboard: any you don't want wireless it lags in gaming
mouse: Razor copperhead
speakers: logitech whichever fits in the price at the end they're all good speaker sets
monitor: a samsung, dell or my personal favourite the Viewsonic X series

Why would you want an interface card???

Yea i would like Vista, since the newer games are coming out for Vista, but i would also like XP, because it doesn't take like 800mb of RAM..

I'm also very interested in the looks of the computer.

But from what you made it looks, from the specs, like a very good computer, for my little knowledge in computers.

I'm wondering if someone can push me towards a website with a good selection of gaming computers that i can customize, and see what i can do right, and wrong. That can show me a price too. Because im pretty tight(cheap).

Thanks for your responses.

Edit: I would like an interface card to help with my ping. It's around the 400's most of the time. And everyone complains that i lag. But i don't feel it. But if it doesn't do anything, then i guess i don't need it.

the killer NIC dropping ping is a gimmic, especially since u can get onboard NIC cards which are exactly the same speed of the Killer NIC and not worth the cash, matts build is really nice, take a look at it actually his build is perfect, but if u can, here are some hot deals worth getting of newegg asap:

65$ AFTER MIR for a Crucial Ballistix RAM 2gb KIT(really great RAM)
Seagate Barracuda 500gb Drive

also its a safe assumption ur from Canada right? cuz when i used to live there i remember there was a store called Farmboy... lol

the killer NIC dropping ping is a gimmic, especially since u can get onboard NIC cards which are exactly the same speed of the Killer NIC and not worth the cash, matts build is really nice, take a look at it actually his build is perfect, but if u can, here are some hot deals worth getting of newegg asap:

65$ AFTER MIR for a Crucial Ballistix RAM 2gb KIT(really great RAM)
Seagate Barracuda 500gb Drive

also its a safe assumption ur from Canada right? cuz when i used to live there i remember there was a store called Farmboy... lol

I've been doing research and i've heard having two 1GB Ram is better then having one 2 GB, But having two 2 GB would be the best choice. If i have the money.

Yeah, I'm from Canada.

I'm also wanting flash memory, My brother has one in his Laptop, and he said it doesn't require to spin your hard drive as much, probibly making faster load times:confused: It's just a estimation.

Thanks for the response.

I've been doing research and i've heard having two 1GB Ram is better then having one 2 GB, But having two 2 GB would be the best choice. If i have the money.

Yeah, I'm from Canada.

I'm also wanting flash memory, My brother has one in his Laptop, and he said it doesn't require to spin your hard drive as much, probibly making faster load times:confused: It's just a estimation.

Thanks for the response.

correct, hte crucial i recommended has (1gb x 2) its called dual-channel mode, u might wanna read ur manual on how to apply this, because some mobos have to have hte ram next to each other for dual-channel, some need them in the same color

also u have to buy from one of these:

tigerdirect.ca
ncix.com

or any others from canada that i cna't think of :)

the flash thing ur talking about is a feature called readyboost, look for readyboost flash drives

ok, Thanks, I configured one on NCIX and i'm wondering if this is good.

1 x PC ASSEMBLY AND TESTING (PRE-CONFIG OS IF PURCHASED)
1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.33GHZ 1333FSB 4MB Retail
1 x Biostar P4M900MICRO775 mATX LGA775 DDR2 VIA P4M900 1PCI-E16 2PCI SATA Video Sound LAN Motherboard
2 x Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC5400 DDR2-667 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory
1 x Gigabyte GeForce 8600GT OC 600MHZ 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out DIRECTX10 Passive Video Card
1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM
1 x Logisys CS-51WBK 51W Black 450W ATX Tower Case 4X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT W/ Window
1 x Sparkle Power SPI ATX-400PN 400W ATX12V 20/24PIN Power Supply W/ 120MM Fan P4 AMD Ready OEM
1 x Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200.10 8MB 8.5MS SATA2 NCQ Hard Drive
1 x LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD+RW 18X8X16 DVD-RW 18X6X16 DL 10X Black OEM DVD Writer W/ SW
1 x Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 32BIT DVD OEM
1 x Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI OEM
1 x Acer AL2216WBD 22IN Widescreen LCD Monitor Black 1680X1050 700:1 5MS VGA DVI-D Monitor
1 x Microsoft Halo 2 Vista OEM DVD PC Game English *with System Purchase Only*
1 x nGear Flash Card Reader 3.5IN Internal USB Black CF/SM/SD/MMC/MS/XD 18IN Cable Seperated Connectors
1 x Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard & Optical Mouse Combo Black PS/2 OEM *With System Only*
1 x Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker System Black 32RMS 64W FDD2

Thats for $1,500.47

ok, Thanks, I configured one on NCIX and i'm wondering if this is good.

1 x PC ASSEMBLY AND TESTING (PRE-CONFIG OS IF PURCHASED)
1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.33GHZ 1333FSB 4MB Retail
1 x Biostar P4M900MICRO775 mATX LGA775 DDR2 VIA P4M900 1PCI-E16 2PCI SATA Video Sound LAN Motherboard
2 x Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC5400 DDR2-667 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory
1 x Gigabyte GeForce 8600GT OC 600MHZ 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out DIRECTX10 Passive Video Card
1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM
1 x Logisys CS-51WBK 51W Black 450W ATX Tower Case 4X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT W/ Window
1 x Sparkle Power SPI ATX-400PN 400W ATX12V 20/24PIN Power Supply W/ 120MM Fan P4 AMD Ready OEM
1 x Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200.10 8MB 8.5MS SATA2 NCQ Hard Drive
1 x LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD+RW 18X8X16 DVD-RW 18X6X16 DL 10X Black OEM DVD Writer W/ SW
1 x Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 32BIT DVD OEM
1 x Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI OEM
1 x Acer AL2216WBD 22IN Widescreen LCD Monitor Black 1680X1050 700:1 5MS VGA DVI-D Monitor
1 x Microsoft Halo 2 Vista OEM DVD PC Game English *with System Purchase Only*
1 x nGear Flash Card Reader 3.5IN Internal USB Black CF/SM/SD/MMC/MS/XD 18IN Cable Seperated Connectors
1 x Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard & Optical Mouse Combo Black PS/2 OEM *With System Only*
1 x Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker System Black 32RMS 64W FDD2

Thats for $1,500.47

not really... go to 2gb instead of 4 its overkill, that extreme audio is not worth it, its a rebraded live! card which is like in $20 range, bad choice on the mobo, try to find a p35-ds3r, try go get an 8800gts 320mb instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom