engineering platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

apocalype81

Solid State Member
Guys,
I am a noob so please bear with me. I want to build up a desktop to do design and modeling on, focusing on automotive design and chasis engineering.. what components and software would you recomend? i understand the basic stuff but what do i need/not need.

yea there is. recently a guy made a case and its theme was like a car. he had like a air filter on it and everything. Like here take a look at this.. http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ele-138.html?mv_pc=696 and take a look at this also, http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/bus-22.html so there is like a good selection. That case that the guy made had like a air filter on it so maybe u can hook up a fan to the air filter or somthing and make that the intake. So it will be a fan filter but also be a good design idea. You can also put some more switches and if ur a good electrician or u know someone is, u can actully take some stuff maybe like a NOS purge button and put it in there and somehow convert it so it makes a good on/off button. I dunno if this is what u meat but.. its good ideas.

If you were doing things like actual simulations or other things that a regular pc couldn't handle, then you might want to go with a dual processor computer. If it was just graphic design without the huge amount of processor demand that simulations have, then you could go with a P4 with hyperthreading.

OOOO i thought u ment like a theme.. o ok then yea i would get eaither a p4 with HT or a xeon..

lol monster.. you're crazy... i like you.. but.. you're crazy (old school).. anyways I totally agree with monsters' comments about which cpus to go for

lol demalii i just like u with no movie quote :p but i mean what Elbatrop1 said... if you are going to be using it to liek create stuff like design's and like all that other stuff then a HT should be good but if you are going to be doing a lot at once like having multiple programs open at once, doing like 5 things at once, then i would get the xeon. But the only thing with a xeon, is you need a lot of memory. Like around 1-3 gigs of memory. So if ur gonna be doing a lot, then get the xeon but just saying, since its 2 cpu's its gonne be more money for the processors, motherboard, and your gonna need more memory so just for the board and processors, im gonna guess (note: ONLY GUESSING, IF IM WRONG DONT FREAK OUT) around 500 dollars where you can get a 2.8 with HT and a board (which i just upgraded to today.. well just ordered it) about 300 dollars. I got a ASUS p4p800s which is a very good board.

uuhh I guess I got all that. well i will be doing design, modeling, and also analysis for stress etc amongst some things. what exactly is a xeon? i will hit google but some info from yall will be appreciated. is there a site which you recomend to buy from?

a xeon is a dual processor setup.. well you can make it dual, that is like for "heavy duty" stuff. Like running servers. Somthing that a P4 HT cant handle. But as for me.. im gonna go install my p4p800s which is a good motherboard BTW :D But.. if you really need it, get the 3.2HT. Or even maybe the 3.4. If you need the 3.4 extreme HT.. then dont get it. Its like 1000 dollars just for the cpu. Get a xeon by that point.

I just did a google search and tracked it down. dual xeon with 512MB of ram, i think the processors are dual 1.8 xeons. they have up to the 3.2, but i doubt i will ever need that much. you said a gig of ram would be needed right? the unit has a ATI radeon 9200 video card, it outputs i believe to a tv as well, since I have a flat i was thinking of doing this. with those specs the system is in the 1600$ range. is that good or should i buy all the components seperately and build it myself?

well i would build it myself... But if you are only gonna be doing graphics then yea get the 9200. But if you are going to be playing games also.. then get a better video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom