570sli vs 590sli northbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
bought the evga 590 two weeks ago for $115, for some reason is cheaper here in Canada....very odd, usually the other way around.

no not worth the extra cash , why not go with a 650i/680i . I think they are working on a new board as well .

lmao.
ummmmmmmm...when you find the am2 mobo with a 680i chipset, lemme know.
yeah. the 590sli board is the best (and newest surprisingly enough) chipset for am2. 680i is for intel 775.

If it were me id wait and $ave until i could afford the upgrade maybe even to a newer better sli board . Your rig seems decent enough . I like to double my performance when i upgrade . Patience is a virtue that saves cash
whats newer than a 590sli? :eek:

and yes, O.P. the 4/8 pin adapter that apokalipse listed works. actually, your 4 pin connector will work. i just got the 4/8 pin to make sure all the holes were plugged lol.

lmao.
ummmmmmmm...when you find the am2 mobo with a 680i chipset, lemme know.
yeah. the 590sli board is the best (and newest surprisingly enough) chipset for am2. 680i is for intel 775.

whats newer than a 590sli? :eek:

yep the 570 is the AM2 version of the 650i, and the 590 is the AM2 version of 680i for single sockets..... but when u get into dual-socket am2s, there is a 680:

Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS L1N64-SLI WS Dual Socket L (Socket 1207FX) NVIDIA nForce 680a SLI MCP SSI CEB AMD Motherboard - OEM

I heard the 8-pin power connector, is to help stabilize the system a little more, when a quad core is installed.

I heard the 8-pin power connector, is to help stabilize the system a little more, when a quad core is installed.

thats what i heard as well. i dunno, that makes sense to me. EVGA told me I HAD to have the 8 pin, but they were mistaken. so, meh. but i have read that it is for quad usage mostly.

granted v-dogg...but thats not a 680i chipset on that board. and its not a socket am2. and jesus christ its expensive.

its 680a, and its what was recommended when u buy a quad fx , but eh oh well 590a ftw!!

Not necessarily for quad cores.

Usually the only AM2 systems that use an 8 pin EPS connector are boards with a 590 chipset
And I think that's mainly because of the PCI-E bus (590 chipsets support 46 PCI-E lanes, 570's support 28)
yep the 570 is the AM2 version of the 650i, and the 590 is the AM2 version of 680i for single sockets..... but when u get into dual-socket am2s, there is a 680http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131146R
that's dual socket 1207, which is different to AM2

AM2 is single socket only, and the best AM2 chipset has always been the 590.

That will be at least until socket AM2+ comes out, which will have a faster Hypertransport bus

But AM2+ CPU's still fit and work in AM2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom