I wanna OC my E6320 with P5N-E sli mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slashnmash

Baseband Member
Ok I am ready to overclock this bad boy now, but I am just not too sure how. Ive had a nose in the bios and seen some of the advanced settings but I am scared I do anything wrong and mess it up. I am running the stock cooler if that helps and have the p5n-sli mobo. if someone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, Don't worry about going wrong, most motherboards will reset if something goes wrong.

Generaly the easiest hassle free way to overclock is it increase the FSB of the CPU, just slowly increase it in increments of 3-4, and depending on the temperature increase, increase at higher increments if suitable. You won't want to be going any deeper in the world of overclocking without a Aftermarket Heat Sink, you can pick up a decent one for £15, $20.

If cooling remains ok, you may wan't to lower the CPU Multiplier, and then increase the FSB more to get a higher clock. Once your happy with a speed leave a game running, or use Prime Dual or Orthos to test your CPU under load for a few hours to check for system stability.

Post your system temps, and i'll advise from there. It'll be tommorow though, im tired.

You don't want your temperatures higher than 60c.
It's recommended that you read up throughly on OC'ing before you start, however, if you want a taste before getting all advanced, it's safe to OC in increments of 5 up to 40-50.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been on holiday. I upped the FSB to 1300, which means its running at 2275 mhz according to CPU-Z mulitpler is x7 and the bus speed is 325mhz. I dont know a decent program to measure the temps though. Could someone please recommend...

The popular temperature monitors, are Speedfan, Everest, and some like to use CoreTemp. 30-40C is a good idle temp, and your load temp should be below 60C.

Oh...I have that same motherboard.

Do what I do.

Before you get too deep into OC'ing research and find out what common OC's people are getting with your processor so you know what to work for and what to work off of.

Obviously this all depends on a number of things, but it's something to give you an idea of how far you can go.

With a stock cooler, I'd say he can get to the high 2.0GHz to low 3.0GHz range if he's lucky.

apperently my CPU is only 15c according the everest home edition. :S

Ok i have fiddled around in my bios and found that my cpu was running at 41c.

That seems way too low for a stock cooler, unless you live in Alaska. Screenshot? Or try CoreTemp, which is pretty accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom