17" TFT Gaming Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

domwells

In Runtime
Hi,

I have been reading reviews on the net for the past 2 weeks trying to work out what TFT screen to get.

I want:
A 17" TFT screen,
16.7 million colours (24 bit)
a fast response time
and no motion blur in games.

I have been looking at the Hercules ProphetView™ 920 Pro DVI but cannot find it for sale in the UK.

Any suggestions would be very helpful, as well as links to reviews.

Thanks.

As far as I know, *every* TFT monitor has motion blur in fast paced games. Even the best, newest, and most expensive ones seem to have it. Though it's only a little, it's still just enough to make it noticeable. I think that the Prophetview 920 Pro is the best one currently available, though.

Domwells, everytime PC mag or windows magazine puts out a study on a test of FPMs, a couple of brand names always make it near the top of their list. Samsung for one and Viewsonic. There's a recent model made by Samsung that has gotten many good reviews.

Hey,

A good online retailer for the UK is overclockers so I've heard. I'm ordering my computer components from there in a couple of weeks time.

In terms of monitors you might want to look at the "Samsung SyncMaster 172X 17" TFT Monitor". They have it at overclockers, but the last time I checked it was out of stock. I'm not sure on the full specifications but it has a very fast response time of 12ms. The downside is the price, I think its around £405 INC. VAT. Samsung do a 19" TFT for £420 INC. VAT but it has a slower response time, which is also for sale at overclockers.

I'll see if I can find some reviews for you.

Retro

I have read a lot about different panels, apparently the HyDis panel in the hercules screen is meant to be the best and the AU Optronics one the most common (the later of the 2 is only 18bit colour).
Does anyone know of any screens in the UK that use the 24bit HyDis panel?

I have had an email from viewsonic saying that their VP171S is only 16-bit!!!! thats 65536 colours.
Surely this can't be the case... Mobile phones have that many colours!

domwells said:
Does anyone know of any screens in the UK that use the 24bit HyDis panel?

Domwells, i'm one of them dumb ignorant americans... what is a 24-bit HyDis panel? Is that something particular to you folks over there?

nope, the HyDis panel has a 20ms response time and uses 24-bit colour. It is made by Hyundai and was originally in the Hyundai Q17 and Prophetview 920 Pro screens I think. However I can't find these screens in the UK anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom