Building a Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, like he needs to not upgrade soon?
QUESTION TO THE TOPIC HOLDER: Are you willing to upgrade next year?

Ok so, I configured a build on newegg.com, it'd be 2,007.59 shipped. Aslong as you're in the US. Here we go-

Case-Thermaltake Armor Series $169.00-
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan - Retail

Power Supply-OCZ GameXStream 700W $139.99-
Newegg.com - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V - Retail

Hard Drive-WD 500gig HDD $134.99-
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar RE WD5000ABYS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

RAM-Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) $124.99-
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

MOBO-GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R $129.99-
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 $319.99-
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Heatsink-ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler $34.99-
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

OS-Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit $111.990-
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

Video Card-EVGA 8800GTX $546.99-
Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Monitor-Samsung Widescreen 20.1 $259.99-
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 216BW Black-Silver 21.6" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 3000:1(1000:1) - Retail

There ya go dude. You'd be SET. That thing would eat all games alive, and you could do some nice overclocking with that RAM,CPU, and heatsink. It'd run nice and cool. Withi 500gigs you'd be good for tons of games, music,videos, and pictures.

You could go 4gigs. But right now, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe in another year,two, or three. But not now.

Also, you'd need Windows Vista 64-bit to use the full 4 gigs. 32-bit allows up to 3.2 or 3.3 gigs. And you don't want 64-bit yet, because their are still plenty of driver issues that 64-bit probably won't be worth it for a good while.

Hope I could help.

i saw you mentioning some softwares, i would suggest you obtain those by other means *wink wink* as it would save you hundreds. hope im not in trouble :D

and with theotis's build i think 500w is enough, and dont need to go so fancy on the case unless you really want to. i guess that fan does make it better for ocing...

and with the money you save why not upgrade to the samsung 226bw, 2ms is easier on the eye for games if you are sensitive to motion blur like i am.

i really think you shouldn't go with the quad-core. as great as the 8800 gtx is, you wouldn't be able to use all of the cpu's potential [unless you're going to use editing programs and software, i am wrong]

you have to level the two comoponents into an equal match. like getting another 8800 gtx and a high resolution moniter. that's outrageous considering your budget so i strongly suggest finding a high end duo core. that would even things out.

but hey, if you're adding another 8800 gtx for SLI or you're using lots of software and programs go ahead with the quad core. for $300 dollars it's a great deal. but i still think the quad core would be a bit over the top for am 8800. imo.

hope this helps too..

People said the same thing about dual cores a year ago. Now look at them.

Quad core's a great way to go if you're able to.

More and more games are becoming multi threaded, Vista has a ton of stuff running in the background.

For future purposes, get a quad. They're fast, have 8MB cache, and the Q6600 is very nicely priced at $289 at Frys.

i would advise you to get a Western Digital Caviar Drive, quad cores are the futre, if you can buy one then buy one

TheOtis, when exactly is the future going to come? I've been waiting for multithreading...So, if multithreading becomes more and more popular, you can just upgrade next year to the NEW QUADS that will destroy this lame Q6600.

With quad core processors you can do multiple things at the same time without slowing down. You can play games, browse the internet, run photoshop... at the same time.

I would get Quad core

you can just upgrade next year to the NEW QUADS that will destroy this lame Q6600.

First: "Next year" is a long time....... Every year there will be newer and better processors... So if you always tell him to wait then he will never buy any processor

Why you don't just tell him to wait 10 years

Second: Q6600 is not "lame" because it is overall faster than any dual core processor. It is more future proof, and it is under $300 !!

With quad core processors you can do multiple things at the same time without slowing down. You can play games, browse the internet, run photoshop... at the same time.

I would get Quad core

First: "Next year" is a long time....... Every year there will be newer and better processors... So if you always tell him to wait then he will never buy any processor

Why you don't just tell him to wait 10 years

Second: Q6600 is not "lame" because it is overall faster than any dual core processor. It is more future proof, and it is under $300 !!

yes and that its coming out this year, well EE's anyways, february i guess for the Yorkfields

To answer Techman321's question, I want to build ASAP. I'm ready.

My pretax amount can be $2000. I'd rather stay with a smaller mid-tower unless you see anything wrong with that. I like the Antec 900. But also the new Lexa Blackline. What are your thoughts on that?

Regarding the monitor I saw the 22" HP W2207 at Fry's over the weekend and it seemed really nice. It adjusts vertically and tilt and can rotate 90 degrees. It's going for $360.

I think I'm set on the Q6600 and the 8800GTX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom