Q6600 first boot up. Idles at 50 C after a few minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
Alright. So yesterday was my big upgrade day. It's almost my 2 year mark after my last upgrade and prices seemed right.

I picked up a 8800GTS a little over a week ago. Yesterday I picked up-

Mobo- ABIT IP35-E
Newegg.com - ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU- Q6600 Core 2 Quad
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Memory- OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

No criticisms of what I got, or could of got. I purchased those parts for my reasons :).

So. Got home. Put that mean sucker together. Install the heatsink correctly (I've done 775's numerous times for friends/family), booted into BIOS and decided to check my idle temps just to know what it would boot up and idle at.

To my surprised, the temp read 46 C right away, and kept increasing. After around 3-5 minutes, it peaked at 50 C.

The stock heatsink is where it's suppose to be, i didn't mess with the thermal compound.

The heatsink doesn't feel anywarmer then it should.

Me thinks the temp sensors must be off.

Your thoughts?

Maybe the thermal compound has to be burned in first. That seems normal for a stock cooler. And the Q6600 does put out quite a bit of heat. If you used AS5 or MX-1 thermal paste, it should go lower.

Yeah, I don't know. Same thing happened for my CPU, it sucked.

E6600. Stock cooler, idle around 60 or something, friking ridiculous. After about 3 months I got a 3rd party, silent knight, an asus one, it was the best one available at the time, and from what i hear it is **** good.

Thats dropped my CPU down to 40 without overclock or anything... so that is a healthy temp for my CPU to be at, sure, but seriously? 40 idle without overclock and a good heatsink? so lame, lol

and my case has more than enough ventilation, and I don't live in a hot area. it is winter! lol

Oh well

Huh. Well thanks for the input guys. I wasn't sure how much heat those quad's pumped out.

I'll let the rig idle all day today and might have to get a heatsink by tonight.

We're having a huge game sesh at my friends house tonight. 3 or 4 computers, PS3's, 360's, N64, PS2 for Guitar Hero II.

It's going to get way hot in there. I might have to pick up a heatsink before that, I'm not down for my new rig to overheat and I want to be able to use it tonight.

That or after I get off work I could pick up some Artic Silver 5 and see how well that'll work. I just don't wanna drop $70 on a heatsink quite yet.

Some bios's have the option to set what temperature your fan kicks on. I have mine set at 45 C and that's about where it sits. Room temperature may also affect it, and case fans help also.

Some bios's have the option to set what temperature your fan kicks on. I have mine set at 45 C and that's about where it sits. Room temperature may also affect it, and case fans help also.

I have the fan on constantly. I guess I'm just used to running AMD procs. Idleing at 32 C and not getting past 42 or so haha.

The room it's in is very cool. I live in a house with central air, so it never gets warm in there, so I know it's not that.

I also have 2x 120mm fans. One intake one exhaust. Right now the sides open though.

Hmmm, that should do it!! My cpu is usually sitting at around 40 or so...It's a Celeron D. I've seen it at 47-48 C for days at a time (I live in AZ, and never turn my comp off!!) with no ill affects. I've read in a magazine that as long as it doesn't get up to 70+ C for too long (mine will max out at 79.9 for about 5 seconds every now and then, but I don't think the thermometer will read any higher) then 45-50 isn't bad, but don't take my word for it......It's your computer and if you don't feel comfortable with it at 50 C then I don't blame you!

WOW! Ya thoes Celeron D's run hot, just like the Pentium D's!

I couldn't imagen livin in AZ!

Haha yea, jus tknowing how much I've put into it yesterday, and over time. It'd kill me if something happend to it.

I think I'll pick up some artice silver 5 and use that stuff witht the stock heatsink.

i found the heatsink I want, but it's only on newegg and no one around here carries it. Aslong as I can keep it under 60c under load or so I'll be comftorable with it.

I'm just used to using AMD's. So anything past 45C under load makes me nervous, it's just what I'm used to.

my e6600 is running at around 28C at idle with the stock cooler and 2 case fans. That does seem somewhat hot, even for a quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom