Question, AS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccskorn

Baseband Member
I just got all of my parts from Fedex (thank you newegg), and am putting the computer together. I just got the motherboard put it with all of the front panel connections, and am ready to put in the processor/heatsinkfan. I just need to know how much Arctic Silver 5 to put on it. I read on the AS5s site that you don't have to put it on the heatsink, so do I just put some on the processor core. I heard you can just put a dot on the core and spread it out with a plastic bag over your finger. Will that work, and is that all I need to do?

About as much as half a grain of rice they say. Spread it with a plastic bag then wipe the excess of with a credit card. Only on the chip.

this thing is like lightning, lol, I'll post later, I have to update all of the drivers etc.

It's been running for a while, pretty fast, lol. I have a question though, the cpu has been running at about 45C idle, and the case is around 22C-25C. Is that ok? I'm guessing the temps will drop a little when the Arctic Silver breaks in.

ccskorn said:
It's been running for a while, pretty fast, lol. I have a question though, the cpu has been running at about 45C idle, and the case is around 22C-25C. Is that ok? I'm guessing the temps will drop a little when the Arctic Silver breaks in.

thats a little warm but nothing to be concerned about

let the AS5 break in for about 2 weeks and if the temps don't drop then reapply a very thin layer. It only has to be thick enough to fill in the little tiny cuts and canyons in your CPU/HSF. All it really does is give a better contact. Its not meant to be an inch thick (<==exaggeration) but i've seen people with WAYYY to much thermal grease on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom