SLI question

Status
Not open for further replies.

IridetheShortBus

Baseband Member
if you use SLI, do you have to use 2 of the same video cards, or can you use lets say one 8800 gts and one 8800 gtx.. or do they have to both be the same?

same but sli is pointless:
sliing=100% of the cost for a 30-40% performance gain
overclocking card: 0% of the cost for a 10-20% performance gain

that means that you double the cost of the card but only gain 10-20% difference in performance which would raise you around 6fps wow big leap....... just buy the best single card you can afford. If you can't afford te best single card off the bat then buy an EVGA card and use the 90-day step up program to upgrade the card when you have more money in 3 months time

I remeber when SLI first came out they were demandstrating on a TV show taking one of the cards out and half of the screen disapeared. Then they put it back in and the full screen comes back. I originally thought that the cards themselves rendered half the screen (or thats what it looked like). Is this still the case?

same but sli is pointless:
sliing=100% of the cost for a 30-40% performance gain
overclocking card: 0% of the cost for a 10-20% performance gain

that means that you double the cost of the card but only gain 10-20% difference in performance which would raise you around 6fps wow big leap....... just buy the best single card you can afford. If you can't afford te best single card off the bat then buy an EVGA card and use the 90-day step up program to upgrade the card when you have more money in 3 months time

or 50% for free :) assuming that u already got a cooler maybe even 100%

I remeber when SLI first came out they were demandstrating on a TV show taking one of the cards out and half of the screen disapeared. Then they put it back in and the full screen comes back. I originally thought that the cards themselves rendered half the screen (or thats what it looked like). Is this still the case?

yup. You can do split screen, or alternate frame rendering.. There are also other mods, where the second card will do just AA processing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom