Vista and Gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDGreen92086

In Runtime
This has probably been answered before, I searched and I didn't find anything. Which Vista would you recommend for gaming? 80% of what I do on my computer is gaming. I was just going to get the cheapest Vista I could, Home Basic I believe. Also, I've heard if you upgrade pc components you have to buy vista again?

Boils down to this. If I get Home Basic will it run games as smooth as any other... version, of windows, and if I upgrade my computer, do I have to buy Vista again?

Thanks guys.

tbh. i dont even recommend vista for gaming. it will be a while before vista is actually good for gaming as most games will have some compatibility problems. just go with xp for now. and no, i fyou upgrade you dont have to buy it again. that would be ludicrous. but if you really want vista gaming then go for either home premium or ultimate. games will run the same on any version. but those versions are much better than all the other ones. basic is much worse than xp.

XP, blah, was just asking about Vista :)

Vista Home Premium for system builders OEM a good choice? I don't get what is different about the system builders OEM and regular retail Vista HP.

When I do upgrade my new cp, will I have to call and get Microsoft to activate it since it will detect the new parts?

Thanks.

Go with home premium if you are thinking about Vista, anything else is either crippled or unnecessary. And to all the people talking about gaming compatability, sometimes I think many of you are just thinking about the Vista Beta. I've been working with Vista since launch and I have actually experienced better compatability with older games than I had with XP.

The only flaw with Vista and gaming has to do with the relatively small fps loss while playing games, but as drivers get better and vista updates more I assume thing will become less of a problem.

Also, legally, you have to purchase a new Vista license if you replace your motherboard. I believe you can replace anything else and still have Microsoft consider it the same computer.

Go with home premium if you are thinking about Vista, anything else is either crippled or unnecessary. And to all the people talking about gaming compatability, sometimes I think many of you are just thinking about the Vista Beta. I've been working with Vista since launch and I have actually experienced better compatability with older games than I had with XP.

I've agree. Some of my friends have Vista and none of them have had any significant problems. Only person to have a problem was my friend who did the upgrade.

Also, legally, you have to purchase a new Vista license if you replace your motherboard. I believe you can replace anything else and still have Microsoft consider it the same computer.

That sounds right to me, but I've heard on some forums that the motherboard is one that doesn't mess with Vista if you swap it.

What is the difference between OEM and Retail versions?

I ordered my other parts today. I'll get Vista tomorrow if I can get some questions out of the way. I would hate to waste my money! lol

The difference between OEM and Retail...nothing really.

OEM Vista you can use to install on 1 machine. So if you dont plan on switching out your motherboard anytime soon go with that.

Retial you get 3 installs. Which means you can "deactivate" Vista on a machine and activate it on another 2 more times. Which means that you could upgrade your motherboard twice and still sue the same Vista License without having to call M$ to activate Vista.

To save $$ i would say go with Retail Home Premium. Basic is just that. It doesnt offer much at all not even aero. Home Premium has some of the goodies and it has the Media Center.

The difference between OEM and Retail...nothing really.

OEM Vista you can use to install on 1 machine. So if you dont plan on switching out your motherboard anytime soon go with that.

Retial you get 3 installs. Which means you can "deactivate" Vista on a machine and activate it on another 2 more times. Which means that you could upgrade your motherboard twice and still sue the same Vista License without having to call M$ to activate Vista.

To save $$ i would say go with Retail Home Premium. Basic is just that. It doesnt offer much at all not even aero. Home Premium has some of the goodies and it has the Media Center.

****, I really don't want to spend $200+ for anything else, I'm already over budget!

The way im spending money now, I won't have enough to get an 8800GTX before the awsome games are released, and I don't know if my 6800GT will cut it at all.

Guess I'll have to get off my lazy *** and get a job, haha.

Thanks for the help!

Honestly the 8800 line isnt worth the $$ jsut yet. All games are jsut patched for DX10. Crysis will be the first DX10 game out there. Halo 2 Lost Planet Company of HEroes all are DX9 games that run jsut fine with my 6800. So your 6800GT will be just fine.

At best i would say early next year will be the best time to get a DX10 card. By then maybe nVidia can iron out the bugs in their dx10 drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom