LCD or CRT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe becuase the cover of a CRT is glass whereas on an LCD they are liquid

First time I've ever heard of that. Never have I seen burn-in on a CRT, and I've accidentally left my computer on with the same desktop image sitting there (disabled screensaver and power management) for about a week.

Yep, working for a school district with nothing but CRTs for the better part of 3 years i saw a LOT of burn in. Very few of the computers ever had the power management or screensaver set and just sat at the login screen. It really sucks trying to use a computer with a "Please press ctrl+alt+delete to login" box burned into the center of the screen.

Yep, working for a school district with nothing but CRTs for the better part of 3 years i saw a LOT of burn in. Very few of the computers ever had the power management or screensaver set and just sat at the login screen. It really sucks trying to use a computer with a "Please press ctrl+alt+delete to login" box burned into the center of the screen.

Yet...you didn't feel the need to turn on the power management feature and both save them money and monitors?

Yet...you didn't feel the need to turn on the power management feature and both save them money and monitors?

With over 2000 computers to deal with and only 3 techs, i did what i could. By the time i found the machines it was usually too late, but yes, i did set the screensaver on pretty much any computer i worked on. The majority of the computers at that district never gave us problems, and thus would go 2-3 years without a tech getting near it.

The reason screen savers were invented was because of the burn in associated with stationary images left on a CRT screen for too long. This was more prominent with black and white or green CRT monitors. Color CRT monitors were less prone to the problem, but it was still an issue.

This is the reason "screen savers" would either black out the screen or have moving images. Security surveillance systems were the worst because they were on 24hrs a day and usually looking at a stationary background. We would have to replace monitors every 2-3 years. When you turned the monitors off you could still see the image in the glass.

Liquid crystal displays are far less prone to this problem because of the composite of the screen, but even they can have burn in issues over the long term if stationary images are left up too long. Modern power management features are far more effective than screen savers at solving this problem, which brings us to the other down side of CRT's...boot times associated with powering up a picture tube. Even once a CRT has warmed up enough to display an image, different monitors took quite some time to reach their optimal color display temps.

When you turned the monitors off you could still see the image in the glass.

I have this scene in my head...

"Uhhh...security...Did you see anything on the showroom floor?"

"No...just the room..."

"We were just robbed...are the monitors on?

"****"

$opening = "::wavewave::";

echo = "They both have their benefits, as listed above. A few points that should be high lighted though, are:

CRTs have higher refresh, but uses radiation to display the screen. A light bulb inside the case sends a dot to the screen, then another and another. The faster the dot, the better, some older CRTs are a bit slow, and you can see the row of dots going down the screen. (Just as an example, the older models aren't being considered ATM) It's not a bad thing, but after a while, it can hurt the eyes, and give you headaches. Most people aren't effected by this, or just have a nice monitor. The LCD (if using a decent one) will ultimately give you a better picture, due to the brightness, and liquid feel. If that makes sense. The headache factor (for almost all people) is not an issue.

A CRT will save you some money, due to being less expensive, and uses less power while on. A LCD will save space and give you the 'kewl' look, that more and more people are leaning towards. Like cases with the windowed side of a dragon, and a neon green light blazing through, or something like that. Also the transportation factor. It's may not be often, but every so often, you have to pick up, and/or move your monitor (like to bring it home), and of course, the CRT is much lighter and smaller.

Honestly, while playing games, your monitor will not make a large difference when compared to it's alter ego. A new 19" CRT, will give you the same performance as a 19" LCD in the short run. If they are both made by good manufacturers.

Doubt this article is worth it, but Good Luck on your decision! Let us know which one you chose!";

Oh my god...the seeing the rows go down the screen...my old monitor did that...I never know what it was...text scrolling on my MUDs looked frickin weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom