My rig feels a little underpowered...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raknor

In Runtime
Ok guys i need your help, atm my system is feeling weaker than it did a month ago. In oblivion with all settings maxed im getting 30fps or lower at 1680 x 1050, im currently using forceware 158.45 beta, but i'm planning on updating to the latest soon. Ive expirenced low fps in Lord of the Rings online and in Vanguard saga of heros, so much so that i dropped both games...is this vista? with my setup the only things i can think to do would be to replace my crappy ram with HZ's and get vista 64 both of which im doing later this month. Any ideas what is wrong?

Your problem is very vague... what do you mean "Feels underpowered". Your not giving enough info. You said you get 30fps on oblivion... but what did you get before/after this feeling? Did you install Vista because you make it seem like you had XP before and then upgraded to Vista and saw these changes... we need more specifics...

sorry man no ive always had vista and i have been installing certain mods in obliv but previously i got 60-70 fps consistently, thing is I have only recently begun playing obliv on comp vs xbox and i hadn't gone into a city yet, when i got into a major city the fps dropped drastically. Just hoping some people with gtx's can tell me if my expirence is similar to theirs etc. let me know if you need more info

I run Oblivion on max on 1600x1200 with HDR and 16x AF and no AA (don't really need it on 1600x1200) and depending on the city I usually get around 28-35 fps in the demanding areas. Some cities, when I look down a long road with lots of buildings, I get as low as 18 fps. I turned the resolution down and got the same exact fps so I not quit sure what to think. However that doesn't mean the whole game runs slow, most of the time I'm maxed out at 60fps and usually stay above 40fps most of the time. Certain parts of cities are the most demanding.

Although I also have my ini file tweaked to load more cells, and some memory based tweaks, so if your running on the default ini you may be getting different performance.

its definitely not a problem with the gtx. that is one of the best gpu's available apart from the extreme.

Run 3dMark06, just google it and download it. Run the benchmark then tell us your final score. I scored 10194 marks with stock settings on my CPU and GPU.

I run Oblivion on max on 1600x1200 with HDR and 16x AF and no AA (don't really need it on 1600x1200) and depending on the city I usually get around 28-35 fps in the demanding areas. Some cities, when I look down a long road with lots of buildings, I get as low as 18 fps. I turned the resolution down and got the same exact fps so I not quit sure what to think. However that doesn't mean the whole game runs slow, most of the time I'm maxed out at 60fps and usually stay above 40fps most of the time. Certain parts of cities are the most demanding.

Although I also have my ini file tweaked to load more cells, and some memory based tweaks, so if your running on the default ini you may be getting different performance.

In FiringSquad: Home of the Hardcore Gamer - Games, Hardware, Reviews and News they do performance previews, reviews and they test new and upcoming hardware e.c.t and they have 2 test ( 2 benchmarks) with oblivion's game one is call Oblivion Mountains HDR, and the other Oblivion Foliage HDR the latter is one of the most intense test they do and the purpose of this is to bring the video cards to their knees and it works.

But the thing is that test if I'm correct is in a specific place in-game they use different resolutions ( most populars one) and 0xAA & 8xAF.
I have to go for now but later this evening I will look for the article that they explain that test.

I;m getting 8000 in 3dmark 06 which is really strange since i had gotten 9900 before i reformatted my pc... im installing new drivers now, got 2000 pts for cpu....

Update* after installing the most recent 162.22 drivers my score is 10216 so there we go, problem solved

It turns out that my INI file was messed up since my hardware upgrade, instead of 18fps being the lowest, it hardly ever goes below 25fps ever since I redid the INI, and stays at a good 30fps in cities. I also use Qarl's texture pack (the download file is 1.7GB!), makes good use of the 768MB of VRAM and 2GB system, at little performance hit on average. Although there is some increased stuttering/load times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom