ide and sata HD recognition problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtgolf

Beta member
Hello,
I have purchased a sata hd for my optiplex 170l to use as a secondary storage drive. I have windows xp sp2 installed on an ide hd. My problem is that when I start up the computer the system seems to try and boot to the sata drive and not the ide drive. I have updated the bios and gone in and set the drive config. for sata to AUTO. The boot order only lists the ide drive as an option, so why is it kicking over to the sata drive? I hit f12 and manually loaded the ide drive with windows on it and then formatted the sata drive. So now when I manually boot to the ide drive, the sata drive shows up as the d: drive. How do I get the computer to recognize the ide drive first so that it will load windows? I am a novice and any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

find a jumper and put it on the IDE HDD so your system recognizes it as the master drive

went into bios and now under primary master drive it comes up as unknown device the drive type is still set to auto. previously it showed the specs for the ide drive and said hard drive instead of unknown device
drive config. reads as follows...
sata primary drive.............................hard drive
primary master drive..........................unknown device
primary slave drive............................off
secondary master drive......................cdrom device
secondary slave drive........................cdrom device

ide drive udma..................................on

just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this matter, it's become frustrating.
if not, can i move the OS across from the ide drive to the sata drive without losing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom