First Time Computer Builder- Advice Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
I'm about to start buying parts for my new computer, which I will (for the first time) build myself. I've done some research online, at Tom's Hardware, Newegg, here, and various other sites, but I wanted some opinions. What do you guys think of this machine? I plan on building it for occasional gaming, nothing big, and hope it will last a long time. Will this computer suffice? My big question is are all of these parts compatible, with the socket types and what not?

CPU- AMD Athlon XP 3200+
RAM- Corsair ValueRAM 1 GB (2x512) PC3200
Video Card- ATI Radeon 9600 SE
Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394
Hard Drive- 80 GB Western Digital Serial ATA 7200, WD800JD
Optical Drive- I'll find a fast CD Burner
Case- 550W, I don't know the brand though.

What do you guys think of it? I've heard that the ValueRAM isn't the greatest, or the video card, but since I'm not doing any hardcore gaming I think it should work out alright. Thanks in advance.

That will work fine looks like a nice setup. If i were you i would sacrifice and get the 3000+ and 9600pro. I use value ram in all my computers and its seems to work just fine.

Thanks for the help. Which brands are good as far as cases go? I found one by POWmax that had a 450W power supply. Is that very good, and if not, what else is good?

Depends on your budget. For the 60 dollar range go raidmax, for the 100 dollar range go antec. and for the 200 dollar range go lian li. I like antec a lot, i think they make the best cases for the budget. Lian li has some sick layouts inside but not a reasonable price.

Sounds good. If possible get EIDE or IDE Hard Drives. They are plug and play, but other than that it looks good.

I would settle for a better vid card.. even though you do occasional gaming, I would assume you want the best out of it.. since every other piece of your comp is good, I would suggest atleast a 9600 xt.. with the xt, combined with your system specs, you will easily be able to run games that come out in the next 1.5-2 years

GameGURU said:
Asus is better than gigabyte. Go asus k8v se deluxe

The Asus K8V is for Athlon 64 systems. If you want to upgrade to 64-bit, which isn't much more expensive, get the Asus K8V Deluxe with the Athlon 64 3200+

Also, PizzatheHut, don't get any "SE" video card. Go with the 9600 Pro or XT.

do not get that video card, i am surprised you have not been told to do so by anyone else. That video card isnt worth it. Get a 9800 pro or better, if you get this card it will be the bottleneck of your machine.

I am currently building my first computer. And I am curious about everyone's first time building it. Was it very difficult for you? And what are some areas that need to be paid special attention and easy to screw up?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom