Windows XP pro or home upgrade??

Status
Not open for further replies.
MCE is the best has the functionality of pro with some added themes and a capable media application. Its only available to OEM builders so although ever popular on internet stores it is rare in large computer real stores due to there being no "retail" version available.

MCE is the best XP version for any home builder

here's a link to microsoft if you want to look over the details further.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Home Page

is xp home even worth getting though? i found a system builders xp home for $90 on newegg. then the xp pro system builder oem is $130. so i'm trying to stick with xp home. would that be fine? are there any huge differences in performance between home and pro?

hello did you read the above get MCE not pro or home just get MCE edition btw what rig are you running this on as there may be extra considerations needing to be taken into account such as RAM, CPU compatibility

edit: sorry for being abit harsh bit stressed today :)

haha thats alright. I have 2 gigs pc6400 ram and amd64x2 5200+ am2 socket cpu. I read that windows MCE is difficult to install though. Maybe the reviewers on newegg.com just don't know how to use software..

so i should purchase this? Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/SP2B - OEM

will this OS be fine for gaming though? it won't be a memory hog will it? or is it basically the same as xp pro

its xp pro with a media application add on and a new theme to choose from thats it. Doesn't hog anymore memory and 2b is more then enough to run it. It installs exactly the same as any windows. never trust the newegg reviews I normally read the worst 10 just to see if there is any on going fault, also don't follow the products with high reviews often there made by people "planning to buy" and will lead you to have a very expensive and pointless system.

A amd AM2 system isn't the best idea right now you would be better off going for a low level AM2 system and upgrading in 3 months to a AM2+ mobo and cpu (which is reverse compatible with am2 so you can use a AM2 cpu in a AM2+ motherboard and vice versa) or going with intel. AMD is the gamble which may give you huge benefits or prove to be old tech or intel which will be the safe option but is unlikely to pay off in the long term. are yo a gambler or not?

Can i ask why he has been referred to MCE? why not plain old home or pro? are they not cheaper than mce? home or pro will be absolutely fine.

If mce is cheaper than both then ok this is a wise choice but apart from price why would you go for mce if you dont need the extra media add on?

I highly don't you'll even use the extra features of the Media Center Edition. If its the same price than sure why not, but if your just looking for an OS, home is basic and has what you need, neither will hinder or be better for your gaming. Just install all the updates after you install.

I just looked at what MCE adds and it lists Media Player 10 and Directx 9. Wow, they add all that? Being that both are free. I guess if you want the themes and the really crappy Movie Maker MCE would be a choice. Its only about 10-15 bucks more than Home Edition.

is it more :eek: it normally is about 5 bucks cheaper then home or of a comparable price.

It has all the added features of pro compared to home with lots of multi comp synchro stuff and can support mutiple cpu's you should probably know the difference of home to pro. It adds the MCE suite which is a interface which lends it self to htpc usage on par with mythtv and MCElinux which is not downloadable. This "media app" allows everything media related to be accessed through a simple file system from tv, dvd, music and pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom