LCD or CRT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering I have been computing since the TI99/4A days (I bet most of you don't even know what that is, hehe), I have to say that a good CRT is vastly superior to LCD's in overall color depth, crispness and refresh performance. However, LCD's have come a long way in recent years and you can get a good LCD for around $200 which will perform well enough to get the job done with similar performance.

My last CRT was a 20inch flat screen MAG (forget the actual model number) back when MAG was a very hot brand. That thing was absolutely brilliant, but took up so much desk space it was ridiculous. Once LCD's came out with affordable widescreens for desktops, I never looked back for that very reason.

My first experience with a widescreen LCD was on my HP Pavilion Media Edition Laptop with a truebright screen. I was hooked from that point. I now have a 20.1inch widescreen LCD and wouldn't trade it for the world. The little bit of difference in overall performance is well worth it. Gaming in widescreen, or even doing other types of media is incredible and something you just can't get with a CRT.

If I do upgrade monitors at any point I will upgrade to a 22", but doubt I will ever go beyond that as I can't see my fiancee across the desk from me as it is, lol.

A large crt....is big....and heavy....and kicka$$ when it comes to gaming......I am constantly changing resolutions on my 21" crt, while my buddy is struggling to get good frames on some games with his native resolution lcd.....he can change resolutions, but not without a quality drop.

I know I am one of only a few left.....but I will vote crt until there are no more....lol.....or until you can change resolution without losing quality of picture

whats the point in a CRT? big, bulky. whereas a LCD has a nice crisp sharp display that no CRT will ever have

whats the point in a CRT? big, bulky. whereas a LCD has a nice crisp sharp display that no CRT will ever have

CRTs have their own advantages. They have a more true black color and can represent the color spectrum for accurately that LCDs can, this is why photo experts use CRTs because it has a more realistic color representation.

CRT's still control the performance and perfection market. LCD's have a quite a bit of work ahead of them to catch up, but they are definitely getting closer. If you want true blacks and true full color spectrum you have to go CRT.

LCD's really are just a convenience. That is their real strength. I personally can live with the tradeoff, but occassionally I do notice the difference and wish I still had my old CRT.

For you younger techies who haven't had the chance to play a game or compare photos on the two monitor types won't understand what we are saying. You really have to see it for yourself to an appreciation.

However with the recent development of glossy type lcd monitors, colors are true and blacks are more clearly defined. A step in right direction

definitely a step in the right directon. as i said, they are getting closer, but even with those new screens you still have the issue of hot spots with lcds. even the impressive 3000:1 DCR's still dont provide the same clarity as a good CRT.

CRT's still control the performance and perfection market. LCD's have a quite a bit of work ahead of them to catch up, but they are definitely getting closer. If you want true blacks and true full color spectrum you have to go CRT.

LCD's really are just a convenience. That is their real strength. I personally can live with the tradeoff, but occassionally I do notice the difference and wish I still had my old CRT.

For you younger techies who haven't had the chance to play a game or compare photos on the two monitor types won't understand what we are saying. You really have to see it for yourself to an appreciation.

amen to thta... i did notice... some of the black issue u noticed.. and i was like omg... whats going on... is this thing broken, should i tell my parents to get a refund

that is one of the unfortunate side effects of lcd's. plasma screens have less of an issue with that, but now youre talking high end hdtv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom