AMD / Intel Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
This IS NOT a "which is better" kind of thing, but i'm curious as to the future of the company's.... I mean are we looking at quad core, ddr3 memory, etc?

lol sry if it sounds stupid... i've been away from the tech news for a while

well amds quads are soon i think. ddr3 is already out but with really loose timings but very high speeds eg. 1800mhz and really expensive.

intel will be releasing 45 nm quad cores later on and i think an octo core aswell. but these are next year i believe.

nvidia are releasing a 9800gtx at the end of this year but not too sure on what ati's doing

y is everyone refering to intels as not 'true quads'?

...because the current quad cores from Intel, are just two dual cores, put together on one die. Where as AMD's quads, have 4 separate cores on one die.

There is no such thing called "true" quad core. A quad core is a quad core.

The intel processors have 4 core so it is Qaud core. It can execute 4 threads simultaneously

intel will be releasing 45 nm quad cores later on and i think an octo core aswell. but these are next year i believe.

Intel 45nm Quad cores will come out on Q4 2007

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/intel-prices-its-first-45nm-processor-hit-market-4q-148791/

intel_amd_quad.png

There is no such thing called "true" quad core. A quad core is a quad core.

The intel processors have 4 core so it is Qaud core. It can execute 4 threads simultaneously
Whatever you arbitrarily decide is a quad core, the Intel "quad" cores are still just two dual core die's stuck on one chip.

And what is the advantage of having "true" Quad core ?? Almost noting....

What if Intel quad cores outperforms AMD "true" quad core ? Then which one you recommend ?

We need to look at the overall performance of the processors !! Who cares if it is 4 core on one die or not ? There are architecture difference between intel and AMD processors, so we can't judge which processor is better by just looking at their microarchitecture. We need to look at benchmarks to see which one is better........

And what is the advantage of having "true" Quad core ?? Almost noting....
Better bandwith, and the ability to share the 2MB L3 cache with all four cores.

Which is something AMD will have a huge lead in, especially with their Hypertransport bus at 4GHZ

What if Intel quad cores outperforms AMD "true" quad core ? Then which one you recommend ?
It's easy to ask "what if?"
but unless it actually equals reality, I don't bother.
Four cores on one chip is still better, irrespective.

We need to look at the overall performance of processor !! Who cares if it is 4 core on one die or not ?
AMD, obviously. Four cores on one die is faster than two dual core dies.

There are architecture difference between intel and AMD processors, so we can't judge which processor is better by just looking at their microarchitecture. We need to look at benchmarks to see which one is better........
And AMD already has made a much improved architecture for K10.

All four cores will have 128-bit FPU's, a pipeline that retains its 12 stages (instead of C2D's 14 - lower is better), but at the same time increases the IPC to 4, as well as lowering latencies, improving virtualisation, branch prediction, and the speed that instructions can actually get to the cores (which the faster hypertransport bus also helps with).

And that's not all.

All four cores will have 128-bit FPU's, a pipeline that retains its 12 stages (instead of C2D's 14 - lower is better),

LOL, not always true

Because the current Athlon64 X2 have 12 pipeline stages, Yet it performs worser than C2D

Better bandwith, and the ability to share the 2MB L3 cache with all four cores.

Which is something AMD will have a huge lead in, especially with their Hypertransport bus at 4GHZ

As I said you need to look at overall performance

Hypertransport bus at 4GHZ

The current AMD Athlon64 have 2GHz HT, yet C2D that have 800MHz FSB outperforms it !!

And AMD already has made a much improved architecture for K10.

Intel doesn't need to make a lot of improvement for core architecture because it is superior to K8
It is AMD who need to make a lot of improvements.............

One of the improvements that Intel has made for Yorkfield is the addition of SSE4 instruction, more cache memory, 45nm die shrink (which means that Yorkfield will run at higher clocks yet consuming less power), ......... and that's not all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom