AMD shows off 3.0Ghz Phenom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said it was a perfect analogy. Only certain elements hold true. You can look at it as either the way I stated it or the highway analogy.

Fast Single Core = Fast traffic on 2 lane highway.

Quad Core = Slow traffic on an 8 lane highway.

At the end of the highway, the same number of cars (or calculations) come through. But if you're in a tight group of cars and can't split up (a single process), the backed up 8 lane highway is rather inconvenient.

Basically, multicores are helping us handle LARGER applications with many "car types" that can split up into the different lanes, but it doesn't help the lonestar process that isn't designed to utilize multiple lanes.

dude i laughed for half an hour after reading this. what a nerd i am.

I still think the computer industry is light years ahead of the car industry. Even all my engineering professors constantly made fun of the car industry and how littles its advanced ( purposly supposidly for economic reasons )

I never said it was a perfect analogy. Only certain elements hold true. You can look at it as either the way I stated it or the highway analogy.

Fast Single Core = Fast traffic on 2 lane highway.

Quad Core = Slow traffic on an 8 lane highway.
That would be true if they decided not to improve the cores themselves, but they do.

i heard crtek talking bout how multi cores are the real benifiet there. as ive been tryin to tell everyone tht a q6600 is better than a e6750 for crysis because thats the direction we are heading. not so much better overclocks but more cores working at once means less time and easy load for each core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom