"NTLDR is missing" error XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro69

In Runtime
Anyone with experience who can make this painless?
J.

*edit*

Any suggestions on how to configure boot.ini?
No floppy drives but I have NERO 6.16

"Create a Boot Floppy Disk with a Windows XP-Based Computer

1. Format a floppy disk by using the Windows XP format utility. For example, with the floppy disk in the floppy disk drive, type format a: at a command prompt, and then press ENTER.

2. Copy the Ntldr and the Ntdetect.com files from the I386 folder on the Windows XP Setup CD-ROM, Windows XP Setup floppy disk, or from a computer that is running the same version of Windows XP as the computer that you want to access with the boot floppy.

3. Create a Boot.ini file (or copy one from a computer that is running Windows XP), and then modify it to match the computer that you are trying to access. The following example works for a single-partition IDE drive with Windows XP installed in the \Windows folder, but the exact value in the [operating systems] section depends on the configuration of the Windows XP computer that you are trying to access:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
Default= multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="Windows XP"

If your computer boots from a SCSI hard drive, you may need to replace the multi(0) entry with scsi(0). If you are using scsi(x) in the Boot.ini file, copy the correct device driver for the SCSI controller in use on the computer to the root of the Setup disk, and then rename it Ntbootdd.sys. Change the disk(0) number to represent the SCSI-ID of the hard drive you want to boot to. If you are using multi(x) in the Boot.ini file, you do not need to do this.

4. Start your computer by using the floppy disk, and then log on to Windows XP."

i've made several discs: two with NTLDR, Ntdetect.com, bcupdate2 (to fix the MFT) and Boot.ini

the boot.ini's have been

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

why is it not working?

i can boot but my problem isn't fixed :(

how do i get the DOS prompt without windows loading? i need that to fix the MBR.

safe mode w/ command prompt returns the message "in use by another process"

i saved the app required on another drive

thanks for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom