Better OS? : XP Pro Vs. XP 64 Bit Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought 64bit wasn't really supported by programs (not the majority anyway).... so how could you tell the difference when you are using 32bit applications?? So of course you can't really tell the difference of vista 64 or 32 unless the application you're using supports 64bit processing.

Am I correct or am I completely missing the point?

edit: oh, and I would get XP for now... let the guinea pigs (people who are already using Vista) use the software for now and wait for SP1 or something.

You can tell from the extra memory addressing space among other things. 32-bit programs will run on a 64-bit O/S.

You can tell from the extra memory addressing space among other things. 32-bit programs will run on a 64-bit O/S.

Yeah, 32bit programs will run on a 64bit O/S. But the people on this thread was talking about how they couldn't tell the difference when using Vista 64 or Vista 32. And that's because they are using applications that doesn't take advantage of the 64bit memory bus or w/e they call it. That's what I meant.

I mean, unless they are using applications that support 64bit processing then they will see a difference.

K, i have a question on this topic...if I put the 64bit version on my new build and then switch to vista in a year or so once the major bugs have been squished out can I then switch the 64bit version to my old second system I have running for the kids?

second system is a socket A, AMD athlon XP 2000+, PC Chips socket A mobo, DDR 400.

Or will there be installation/compatability issues? Know even less in regards to software than I do hardware so not sure if i should go 64bit if it'll be useless in a year or so...looks like I'll be getting a box version as the 9 copies friends shared with me (freak'n 9 clean installs) did not get past activation. That was a wasted 2 days...anyways, info appreciated.

K, i have a question on this topic...if I put the 64bit version on my new build and then switch to vista in a year or so once the major bugs have been squished out can I then switch the 64bit version to my old second system I have running for the kids?

second system is a socket A, AMD athlon XP 2000+, PC Chips socket A mobo, DDR 400.

Or will there be installation/compatability issues? Know even less in regards to software than I do hardware so not sure if i should go 64bit if it'll be useless in a year or so...looks like I'll be getting a box version as the 9 copies friends shared with me (freak'n 9 clean installs) did not get past activation. That was a wasted 2 days...anyways, info appreciated.

u cant install 64bit, xp 2000+ isn't a 64bit processor

I was dual booting XP and Vista for a couple months (Both 64bit) and just deleted my Vista partition because it was too buggy for me (probably my fault for letting someone "share" Vista with me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom