Memory Size Wrong on Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maul555

Beta member
Ive got a bit of a head scratcher here. First some background;

I was on a quest to upgrade my storage server. Picked up a Pentium III 1ghz for cheap along with a stick of pc133 256mb. This computer was running a PIII 550 overclocked to 616, with 768 mb of ram.

I threw the new processor and ram in there, and decided to add a pci bus tweak at the same time, then i turned it on and prayed lol. I allready figured out that the pci bus tweak was the cause of my system instability. But now i have wierd ram problems. The computer came up fine the first time i set it right, and was fine for hours afterwards. But after about 6 hours or so the system will hard freeze, upon reboot it reports a ram size that is a good 2 to 3 times below what it should be. If i restart a few times, I will get sizes anywhere from 2xx, to 6xx mb. If i turn it off for a few minutes, fiddle with the ram a bit, it usualy goes back to reporting its full size again, and will run find untill its next freeze where it will go back to reporting a lower number of ram. I have played with it a bit, switching out pieces of ram. I thought i had a problem stick pointed out and i took it out. But now its back to the same problem again.

This old board is fully loaded. Current specs:

GA-6BXE (motherboard)
Slot 1 Pentium III 1ghz
768mb of ram (in 4 slots)

AGP - Geforce 4 MX420 64mb Video card
PCI - USB 2.0 Card
PCI - Sound Card
PCI - SATA/IDE Raid Card
PCI - 56k Modem
PCI - 10/100mbps Nic
ISA - 10mbps Nic

3 IDE HDD's
1 IDE CDROM
1 SATA HDD
1 External USB CDROM

---------------

This computer has always been the ol workhorse. Always stable and rock solid. Im scratching my head as to how to stop it from going ram crazy...

try puting 512mb in the 1st slot and 256mb in the 2nd slot thats how i solved my ram prob, if u have dual channel. Try doing a memory test and make sure ur memory is the ryt type for your motherboard.

Well, i dont have any extra 512 sticks lying around. Besides, the mobo will accept a max of 256 per stick. It has 2 256's and 2 128's in it. I have a 256 out of it, the one i thought was the problem, but may not be now..

Here is a pic:

DSCF0434.jpg

the picture isnt really clear y dnt u try to put memory in each time and see if the right amount comes up. it could be that you have too much memory for your motherboard to hold

It can hold a max if 1 gig of ram by using 256 x 4 sticks... I have tried that allready, it put em in 1 at a time untill i had 768 again, turned it on, ran for many hours fine, then hard froze again.. i rebooted and its started to give different ram values..

try running it on 512mb and keep changing them 1 by 1 if it freezes, untill it works fine

well, i dont have any 512mb sdram sticks. I have that for ddr, but this board doesnt take ddr. Besides, if i droped a 512 stick in there, it would just report it as 256 anyways...

yea you have three 256mb, so put 2 of them in too make 512mb. Or do you have one 512mb and 1 256mb.Anyway just put 512mb doesnt matter how many sticks, n leave some out so when it freeze swap 1 with 1 that is out. it could be one stick causing the prob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom