Building a Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
The p35 ds3r has highest o/c, lol

Actually its the second highest right behind its sister board. But OC'ing is not the end all be all to performance either. You have to look at a lot more than just OC'ing ability.

There again, it all depends on what is most important. Ironically, the 680i's with the newest bios did better on gaming benchmarks than the P35's. I am looking for that review as we speak.

We dont just rave about these boards. We recommend specific items based on REAL WORLD FEEDBACK from our members and EXPERIENCE. This isnt just some rave.

all im going to say is that you throw up a chart that has a 0.5% difference between all the boards and say that there are better boards out there? what do you think their margin of error was?

the ds3r is a great board either way and sure the 680i's are nice but for $70-$200 more. and the msi is one board commonly recommended as well

We dont just rave about these boards. We recommend specific items based on REAL WORLD FEEDBACK from our members and EXPERIENCE. This isnt just some rave.

or is it? ::busts out the light sticks:: woooooooooo!

in all seriousness thought, even if the 680 board does prove to be better performing, I dont think SLI is worth it, and the board costs at least 40% more...

whats kinda weird is, mobos are almost very disposable now adays which is the reason i didnt get the ddr3 supported version of the P-35DSR3. I figured in 3-4 years when DDR3 becomes way more widestream, ill just get a newer better mobo and I won't take that big of a loss in getting one as the P-35 DSR3 was only 130...I mean...my case cost more then that!

There were more than those 2 charts in the article. In some areas the "rave" board was quite a bit lower. There again, I said it all depends on what is important to you.

Some people may want some of the features available in the SLI board, including, god forbid to actually SLI their vid cards. Im not knocking anyone's recommendations and I said nothing about you specifically, so I have no idea why you are getting defensive.

Bottom line is, there is more to the world of mobo's than the GA-P35C-DS3R. It indeed is one of the best bang for the buck boards.

My only real point of disagreement was on the 650i boards. I am very surprised people are still recommending those.

or is it? ::busts out the light sticks:: woooooooooo!

in all seriousness thought, even if the 680 board does prove to be better performing, I dont think SLI is worth it, and the board costs at least 40% more...

whats kinda weird is, mobos are almost very disposable now adays which is the reason i didnt get the ddr3 supported version of the P-35DSR3. I figured in 3-4 years when DDR3 becomes way more widestream, ill just get a newer better mobo and I won't take that big of a loss in getting one as the P-35 DSR3 was only 130...I mean...my case cost more then that!

Gabb, I couldn't agree more. The $10-$20 more for that board isnt justified considering the state of DDR3. If we are going to talk about overall best value, I think that needs to be taken into consideration as well.

There again, it all comes down to the features people want. Some people want firewire, which the "rave" board doesnt have. Some people want wi-fi, etc.

It is all about combination of features which will serve each individual best.

There were more than those 2 charts in the article. In some areas the "rave" board was quite a bit lower. There again, I said it all depends on what is important to you.

Some people may want some of the features available in the SLI board, including, god forbid to actually SLI their vid cards. Im not knocking anyone's recommendations and I said nothing about you specifically, so I have no idea why you are getting defensive.

Bottom line is, there is more to the world of mobo's than the GA-P35C-DS3R. It indeed is one of the best bang for the buck boards.

My only real point of disagreement was on the 650i boards. I am very surprised people are still recommending those.

their recommending it because its cheaper then the 680 board and has very similar SLI performance ( at least for now, whos to tell for the 9 series cards ). The 650 is a good solid board but not the best bang for ur buck one imho...I used to have an ASUS one btw

the 650's are still pretty solid boards, but since the p35s and the 680i's have come into their own. the 650i's are a total waste of money now in my humble opinion, which was really the only thing i was truly disagreeing with in the first place. Their day is done.

the 650's are still pretty solid boards, but since the p35s and the 680i's have come into their own. the 650i's are a total waste of money in my humble opinion, which was really the only thing i was truly disagreeing with in the first place.

I dunno what the price differance between a 650 and 680 board is now adays, but I see SLI as being one of the worst options you can do ( which therefore disqualifies even considering the 650 or 680 which are primarily SLI mobos ). I mean 1 8800 GTX already runs so incredably hot, just imagine 2 side by side! you would have to have water cooling as I don't even think you can use air cooling, and you definately can't have any 3rd party GPU coolers since the cards are practically a few millimeters away from eachother. Overclocking two of them, would generate even MORE heat!!! I mean its just ridiculous, I think current mobos/cases aren't designed for the 8800 GTXs ridiculous size...

I dunno what the price differance between a 650 and 680 board is now adays, but I see SLI as being one of the worst options you can do ( which therefore disqualifies even considering the 650 or 680 which are primarily SLI mobos ). I mean 1 8800 GTX already runs so incredably hot, just imagine 2 side by side! you would have to have water cooling as I don't even think you can use air cooling, and you definately can't have any 3rd party GPU coolers since the cards are practically a few millimeters away from eachother. Overclocking two of them, would generate even MORE heat!!! I mean its just ridiculous, I think current mobos/cases aren't designed for the 8800 GTXs ridiculous size...

Couldn't agree more. But, there again, there are more to those boards than just the ability to go SLI. And, if someone does want to sli, there is space between the two gpus to add additional fans, etc. Im totally against the idea myself, but someone with cash to burn may not be. Either way, the extra $40-$60 may be warranted for someone who wants wi-fi, or the easier OC'ing features, or a couple of other options not available on the bare bones p35 boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom