Old Compaq Screams In Pain!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaminohaka

Baseband Member
I have an old Compaq Laptop from a friend. I said, I would fix it up for them and give it an new os, but I am starting to have problems. When it boots up, It screams this loud high pitch noise. I know this is a sign that something isn't right, because the motherboard is trying to tell me something. But what? It was working two months ago. I set it aside so that I could work on it later. It hasn't been touch since two months ago when it worked. It's been sitting in a bag protected.

Updated SPECS:
CPU: AMD AMD-K6(r)-2 with 3DNow(tm) Technology; 475 MHz
Video: Resolution SVGA; Video Resolution SVGA
BIOS: 1.07
Ram: 64 MB
CD-ROM Drive: Teac CD-224E-B25; IDE; Spin Rate 24x
Host Bus Adapter: Embedded IDE
Video Adapter Trident Microsystems, Inc. Blade 3D (9880); BIOS i7; 8 MB; Video
(Specs from online, they might be different than mine. I'm pretty sure, that my MHz is around 200 to 300.)

Any ideas on how to at least get this baby to start up?

I forgot to add,
I did open the laptop up and see what was it. And now, your like "What a dumb***, thats your problem. You probably took something out." But I didn't I couldn't find anything. No ram slot, no hard drive, or anything but a fan. Is it just bad that I open it. Maybe it's too old, and its not meant to be open up? Newer laptop, you can open them and upgrade them. Is that different with older laptops.

I think the laptop is anywhere from 10 to 15 years old at the most.

its not worth it anything below 350Mhz i throw away

Im just gonna put some Linux distro on it, depending on what linux distro it'll run just fine. I'm running xubuntu on a old p3, and it's runs just fine. The laptop is for a little 7 grader. All she wants is to instant message, internet and write papers. This means the world to her. So, yes. It's worth it.

$10 bucks it's from the motherboard speakers. (im 99.9% sure. It's really loud, it can't be anything else then the speakers.)

Updated SPECS:
CPU: AMD AMD-K6(r)-2 with 3DNow(tm) Technology; 475 MHz
Video: Resolution SVGA; Video Resolution SVGA
BIOS: 1.07
Ram: 64 MB
CD-ROM Drive: Teac CD-224E-B25; IDE; Spin Rate 24x
Host Bus Adapter: Embedded IDE
Video Adapter Trident Microsystems, Inc. Blade 3D (9880); BIOS i7; 8 MB; Video
(Specs from online, they might be different than mine. I'm pretty sure, that my MHz is around 200 to 300.)

I notice something new. The high pitch noise keeps goings for a while, stops. Then starts up again but softer. That the noise stops, the computer boots up. This whole process is about 5 minutes or so long and then it actually boots up. This is the weirdest thing i've ever seen before. I've notice the only fan i can see, isn't getting power/working. But, it still boots up. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom