How hard to upgrade video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmhotness

Baseband Member
Just ordered a toshiba laptop, comes with the ATI Radeon X1200 card. I have read reviews that this card sucks, I want something fairly decent.

First off, I know nothing about video cards, just like to play some online games(world of warcraft is prolly the biggest i would play).

How hard to upgrade, cost of a new card, card recommendations?
thanks guys
-nick

It depends on if it is integrated or not. (MXM) You must also find out if the laptop can handle the extra power and heat from a more powerful card (which is usually hard to find out)

Its a toshiba a215-s4817, 1.8 dual core, 2g ram.

How do I find out all of this? And if it is upgradable, how much for someone to upgrade it? Or could I do this myself?
thanks
-nick

It might be upgradeable. Of course, if it is... it will be incredibly expensive for a new one. Then, it will be incredibly expensive to get it installed (unless you do it yourself, which from experience I can tell you, is not fun). And finally, when it's all done, you wont notice much of a difference.

I went through all of the above with my inspiron 8600. Do yourself a favor and don't do it!!

I'm pretty sure this card is fully integrated and if that's the case then there's no dice. You're stuck. Laptops with upgradeable graphics are few and far between, although they're becoming a bit more prevalent finally.

Anyways, I certainly couldn't find anything and I doubt there is. Toshiba is a bear about letting you crack open your lappy and fix/replace stuff, too. The only option I could think of is calling them directly and seeing if they offer any upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom