DDR3 Worth it anytime soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my friend has a raptor, and now he regrets ever getting one

Really man, raid0 is the way to go

I don't think raid0 is for me honestly. I appreciate all your guys comments toward me, and although most people on this forum like to recommend the alternate cheaper route/better value route, my system is already below budget. For only $165 for a WD Raptor 150 gig I can really afford to just get that and not have to worry about setting up the RAID 0 or any problems associated with it in the future. I also got a $80 320 gig seagate drive, and I believe 470 gigs is MORE then enough for me considering I've used this current 80 gig system for 4 years.

Gabb, for what its worth Im with you on that. I have gone back and forth on this issue quite a bit and I think for simplisity sake the raptor for OS/games and the seperate Seagate for files is the way to go. You get the performance and the ease of file management without the complication of splitting data across multiple drives. If you are comfortable spending the extra cash (as I am) I think its a better solution.

Just my $.02 worth.

Gabb, for what its worth Im with you on that. I have gone back and forth on this issue quite a bit and I think for simplisity sake the raptor for OS/games and the seperate Seagate for files is the way to go. You get the performance and the ease of file management without the complication of splitting data across multiple drives. If you are comfortable spending the extra cash (as I am) I think its a better solution.

Just my $.02 worth.

glad to hear finally someones with me on the subject. I'll probably stick any OS/Game related stuff on the WD Raptor and any other media files ( i got 30 gigs worth of mp3s ) on the seagate which still is fast...just not as fast as the WD.

Can't go wrong with that. I too am still working on an 80gig hdd, which has been more than ample for all my software. I currently have all my Mp3's and ripped movies on an older usb external. I'm looking forward to converting it all to the new setup.

Once my new house closes Im taking my leftover cash and getting my system put together. We will have to compare notes on how our configs work out for us.

Can't go wrong with that. I too am still working on an 80gig hdd, which has been more than ample for all my software. I currently have all my Mp3's and ripped movies on an older usb external. I'm looking forward to converting it all to the new setup.

Once my new house closes Im taking my leftover cash and getting my system put together. We will have to compare notes on how our configs work out for us.

is the external USB hard drive slow when you play Mp3s ( or maybe even movies? ) from it? And do you have USB 1.1 or 2.0? I've never used an external USB hard drive and always wondered as to its performance characteristics.

It is USB2.0. The performance difference is negligeble to be honest. I have had a hiccup or two depending on what else my computer may have been trying to do in the background, but for basic playback its been fine. The real difference is in transfer rates copying files. It is definitely far from ideal and I am looking forward to getting it on a SATA HDD.

It was originially meant just to be a backup for work files, etc. But I was in desperate need of additional storage for my media, so I threw everything on there until I get my new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom