I think my HDD is about to eat it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
*Sigh*....

I think my Raptor is about to blow up. It's making a clicking noise (at least I think it's the Raptor, I have two drives - the Raptor is boot and the other is a Seagate IDE) and my computer keeps freezing and sometimes takes a while to start back up.

Is there any programs I can run to see if this thing is about to bite the dust?

Thanks.

well what you could do is just take all the important files you have on the raptor and put them on the seagate. I assume that you have window's installed on the raptor, so install windows on the seagate, or get another hdd with windows, and just run the computer w/o the raptor and see if there's an improvement. If there is then the Raptor is about to eat it.

to check your hard drive, go to my computer>>right click on the raptor drive( probably C: )>>go to properties>>click the tools tab>>then click check now on the error checking. this may not tell you but it's a starting point. but make sure you back up your files, because usually when a hard drive starts making unusual noises out of the blue it's a good indication that it is on its way out. Good Luck!

Usually the clicking noise you hear (otherwise known as the click of death) most definetly preludes hdd failure. Backup files asap.

I believe seagate has tools to chack their hdd on their website. As for raptors, don't know much about them.

Question, why do you boot from one drive. Does this one contain the the entire OS and the seagate used for storage.

I boot off the Raptor because it's faster...the Seagate is storage.

If the storage drive was bad, would that cause my PC to freeze and mess up?

I ask because I couldn't get my PC to start today but I unplugged the Seagate and it started. Just chance or what?

I thought there was some program that told you if HDD failure was imminent?

If the Seagate is acting up it can cause problems, as any program, or piece of hardware that isn't functioning properly can cause issues with the system. try leaving the Seagate out for awhile , see if the other drive is to blame for the noises, Maybe it was the Seagate?

is it also possible that the Seagate had a loose connection, either power or data cable? check all possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom