Reinstalled Windows XP, stuck at key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipperthy

Beta member
I recently had to reinstall Windows XP. I don't know if I did it wrong or something, but I'm being asked for the product key during the install. This system is nearing 2 years old and I have no idea whatsoever where the Windows XP box is, I've searched for it for the last hour. I know that the key is generated by the hardware on your computer, and I was wondering if there is any way that I could recover that key from my hardware?

the key comes with your disk it isn't generated by your hardware, your only possible way to find the key is to find the disk, contact Microsoft and explain your situation, purchase a new copy of windows or use an illegitimate key from the internet which isn't recommended as it wont activate and it's illegal

Yeah, its 100% software...but if your old windows xp still works, there are programs that will grab it for you.

No, the old partition was completely screwed up so I deleted it, repartitioned, and reinstlled Windows, so my old XP install is completely gone.

Finding the disk is something I've given up on, I've moved since getting this computer and I only have the CD with me, I cannot hope to find the box that it came in.

Purchasing a new copy is also out of the question, I'm not spending another $100+ on such a small matter.

An Illegitimate key that won't activate is no use to me since...I need it to activate. I plan to use this computer for more than just one month.

That leaves contacting Microsoft. What kind of information are they going to ask me? I don't have the original receipt, or any form of proof of purchase. I only have the installation CD in a cover other than the one it came in. I can still explain that I had to reformat since the old install went bad, but will my lack of proof make them deny me a new key?

You have three options:

Buy a new key.

Use a fake key. And yes, with a hack, it will activate. But even an unactivated XP works for longer than 3 months, just no updates.

Use linux.

Microsoft will not help you if you dont have any form of proof...reason being whats to say you didnt find this CD on the floor or in the trash somewhere and claim you bought it. Was this a custom built unit or a name brand? Usually the key is plastard on the side, back, or top of the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom