Installing a new Windows XP w/o deleting files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turboxchaz

In Runtime
Is there a way? Because I already have all my files installed that I don't want to use an External HDD and blah blah...

I was using my friend's windows xp cd for a while and the product key was overused so i bought my own cd but then i couldn't safely install my copy without deleting (reformatting) my computer..

is there a way without having to use an external hdd?

so say i install the windows onto D:\ (my other hard drive).. will it touch any of my C:\ files? i dont want to lose precious music/movies/preferences/bookmarks/etc.

actually i tried doing it, but it woudln't let me choose different options, only the C:\ drive, so i did repair (not the fresh new isntall of windows xp)

If you want to use a different drive, you'll need to choose which drive (or partition) at the first stage

it will be enter (install)
F8 (terms and conditions)

then choose which partition you want to use. You can also reformat partitions here.

everything worked out fine. but now why does my computer seem much slower/sluggish after isntalling the hard drive?

PS: I took out the necessary files from my hard drive, then i removed it and its a goner now. all my files are set.

run windows xp setup, okay when you have an option to press enter to re install windows(i think) and you have an option to press R to repair windows in recovery console. PRESS ENTER choose you partitaion where all your files are then you will have an option to REPAIR which uses you xp disc and then you will be asked to imput your serial key:D you wont lose anythin:D i have done this many times for other people, and i think im doing it on mine 2 day:D

100% it will work

But repair-installs still don't get rid of the useless junk Windows acquires all the time. A fresh install of XP will always be faster.

Unless the installation is made on a highly fragmented drive

A fresh reinstall wont be faster, he only wants to use is windows he brought with serial number!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom