Windows XP Pro Re-formatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

soysauce

Beta member
Hey all, Ok I am a nOObie at reformatting, I have never done it myself. I have gotten myself a virus and I really don't feel like trying to remove it so I am going to reformat. Truthfully, I don't even know how to reformatt. I have Windows XP pro. I have a 160 7200RPM HD. How much of my HD should I partion? and how should I do it. I heard somewhere that I may need a regular Windows XP disk? Someone please take my step by step on how to reformat, Partion space, and everything else. I want to do a CLEAN reformat, leaving NOTHING behind. I have all my mobo drivers and video card drivers ready. I just want to start my computer over. Thanks in advance!

Okay well if you want to format and reinstall with windows it is fairly easy. First and most important step is to get a hold of a windows XP CD. After this it is simple.
1) Start up your computer and enter into the BIOS (Usually by pressing delete a few times when you start your comp)
2) Somewhere in your BIOS (Generally under Advanced BIOS features) there will be an option for you to change your boot sequence. RIght now it may look like this; Floppy, HD-0, CD-ROM. You want to put CD-ROM at the top of the list.
3) Put in your windows XP cd and SAVE and exit the bios. When it starts back up watch the screen for any messages about booting from the cd. A blue screen should come up that guides you through the rest. (Make sure you delete ALL your partitions if you want to remove everything and foprmat using NTFS)

4) Although windows XP guides you through everything, you need to know whether u actually want partitions or not. With a harddrive your size, i would partition about 100 gigs and leave 60 for my windows/program files/documents and all that crap. Then leave 100 for all your media. This way, when you want to format again you can just leave all your stuff on your 100gig partition, and just reinstall on the 60. Again, the windowsxp setup will guide you through the partitioning.

Any problems jsut ask.

Yah and make sure you delete the old partition. Also if you dont want to go into bios try putting the disc in your computer restarting and see if it comes up with "hit any key to boot from disc..." its a possibilty. Otherwise do like sithspawn said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom