New Build System Boot Linux/Windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
Did anyone here build a computer and install Ubuntu (linux) on it? I want to install Ubuntu AND Windows XP, but I heard the install goes easier if you install Ubuntu BEFORE Windows XP. I read somewhere that installing Windows XP first CAN/MIGHT cause issues when installing Ubuntu. Ubuntu on a fresh system runs better.... so I've heard.

But since most people here are gamers, I think only 1/40 people here would have Ubuntu.

Some advice would be nice.

I don't have Windows, but I have always heard that it's easier if you install XP before Ubuntu. That way Windows won't screw up GRUB.

i was actually wondering the same thing. i want ubuntu on my laptop but i'll need xp as well when school starts up. im not sure if you can even install both linux and windows on the same hard drive though, i think i read that somewhere. you might need to check up on that. plus it'd probably be easier to just install on 2 separate drives in the first place to not have to worry about the 2 clashing.

I have Ubuntu Xp and Vista all installed and completely functional

If you install windows after you install Ubuntu, you will not be able to boot to Ubuntu because XP's (and vistas) loader wont recognize Ubuntu

If you MUST install it in the incorrect order there are ways of fixing it, i ran into the same problem and fixed it somehow.. i dont remember exactly what i did but i used some type of cd to repair my GRUB (ubuntu's loader)

The order i suggest:
Windows (XP, Vista or both)
Then Ubuntu

It's actually quite common. All you have to do is partition your drive, and Ubuntu can do this for you.

well thats not quite what i meant, i was a little unclear i guess with my choice of words. but yeah you can partition it.

Dual boot systems have been around for a very looooong time and are quite common. The only trick is sharing common files, which may be an issue as File Allocation Tables (FAT) can conflict between OS's. This means you simply partition the hdd and may have to load certain files twice (once for each partition) if there is a sharing conflict.

I intend to do something along these lines with Windows Vista due to their onoing compatibility issues.

Here is a great video tutorial on how to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu.

Ubuntu Linux / Windows Dual Boot Instructional Video

It's not too difficult to get Ubuntu to read NTFS if you've got files on a Windows partition that you need in Linux.

The best and easiest way to partition is to boot using the ubuntu "live" cd and partition and install that way. Its alot easier and more comfortable installing ubuntu using the gui.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom