Can't decide on CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
BIG_AIZZLE said:
Id go not with a dell because dells are dells and no one wants a dell besides you :) All teh big company's use low end parts.

Have you even had experience with Dell laptops? I don't think so.
Just because people think that Dell's desktops suck (I don't), you don't have to follow the stereotype other people do of hating Dell.

vicf23, I'd suggest you go for a Dell or a Toshiba notebook. Toshiba manufactures the best notebooks. Go for a Pentium M:)

Lone Wolf said:
Where did you hear that from? Have you actually taken apart a Dell and examined it? or their notebook for that matter?

For once i'd like someone on a computer forum to actually backup what they write with credible information instead of regurgitating what they heard 'some other guy say'.

Dells have a solid reputation in the tech community for makign excellent quality laptops... Toshibas also for matter. Both for the performance and reliability factors, both brand names have been recognized as being very good in the tech community.

Vic, does that Pent M chip have the wireless capabilit built-in as with their Centrinos do? Will you need wireless/ or internet access while you'er on the road w/ this laptop? These are all factors you will need to consider when you decide. There's no question the P 4 will outperform the Pent M in terms of data crunchign speed - how much video editing will you be doign on the laptop? If it's minimal i'd suggest going w/ the Pent M.

I agree on that; my dad has a Dell Laptop and IMO it's prolly the best company to get Laptops from.
out of all laptops they are about the best for hardware specs, and are about the easiest to get and install replacement parts - I have had to replace its 20 gig hard drive (it died) with a 40 gig, everybody says it's hard to pull appart laptops but I found it quite easy with the Dell so I know from experience.

for a Desktop I would only build them, as it is far less expensive and you get a better computer, but for Laptops I think Dell is the way to go (since you can't really build Laptops)

the Pentium M processors do use far less power due to them only being 1.4 to 1.6GHZ, and also use less heat; but P4's definately perform better.
what everybody should ask when deciding what sort of compter to get is: "What am I going to use it for?"
if you're going to use it heavily, get a Pentium 4, but if not then a Pentium M will do you fine.

IBM's also make very solid laptops. I've had mine for 4 years and it still works great...

As far as performance vs. price a good web site to check out is http://www.cpuscorecard.com/ this site takes performance and price to give it a letter grade.

Also if you have the option i would try and get the integrated wireless. Not only will it prolly give you all protocols (a/b/g) but it will pick up networks at least 50% better. I have a linksys pc card and in a certain location i can get 5-10% signal...my dad's laptop with integrated wireless was getting that same network at 25-35%. Thats just my experience. Hope this all helped

-=B$=- said:
dont mess around with that pentium "m" stuff go for the P4 BABY

OK well, while your plugged into the wall recharging, I'll still be running just as fast as you and still on the battery;)

And I agree, IBM makes VERY good laptops;)

Yep... who ever thought of that did a great job. With CPUs running hotter and hotter, it's definitely a worthwhile purchase if you're on the road alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom