More serious decisions and thinking concerning the hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So originally I got a WD Raptor X for free in place of a WD Raptor 150 I paid for, but that computer is long gone, and now its time to choose to go the 2 seagate route with raid 0 or WD Raptor.

I know a lot of people think the WD Raptor is a waste of money in terms of space/price ratio, but how is it to raid 0 two seagate 7200.10 drives? No one has really given me a straight answer and it seems that no one on this forum has attempted it even. Not to mention I heard you need a floppy drive ( which I don't have ) for windows XP if your going to RAID em.

Also don't respond with arguments that you don't need Raid 0 or a WD Raptor, clearly you need one if your building a high performance gaming system ( which i am ) otherwise your hard drive will be a bottle neck for games like BF2 which take data from the HD during the game, same with FEAR.

Heck maybe getting 1 WD raptor for my OS and games and stuff and 1 seagate 320 gig for all the other media files would work, will there be some kind of compatability/bottleneck problem with this setup?

RAID 0 of two 7200.10 hard drives, is pretty close to a Raptor, or so I've heard.

RAID 0 is the cheaper of the two options.

...but having one Raptor for OS, games, etc...and one Seagate for storage, will work just fine.

RAID 0 of two 7200.10 hard drives, is pretty close to a Raptor, or so I've heard.

RAID 0 is the cheaper of the two options.

...but having one Raptor for OS, games, etc...and one Seagate for storage, will work just fine.

That's what I'm doing.

I wouldn't do RAID-0.

Save up the extra cash and do RAID-5 if you want to do a RAID.

-75 gig raptor for OS/games/software
-160 media
-320 media

That's what I'm doing.

I wouldn't do RAID-0.

Save up the extra cash and do RAID-5 if you want to do a RAID.

-75 gig raptor for OS/games/software
-160 media
-320 media

i would do that, but save 50$ by going 36 gig instead

i would do that, but save 50$ by going 36 gig instead

yeah but keep in mind the 36 gig one already loses like 15 gigs ( the size of premium vista OS ), and with games taking 10 gigs now adays...36 gigs is just not enough capacity

put the extra 50$ into a 500gb HD thats the point... cuz extra 50$ lets u upgrade to 500gb rom a 320gb

put the extra 50$ into a 500gb HD thats the point... cuz extra 50$ lets u upgrade to 500gb rom a 320gb

honestly I don't need that 1 storage on 1 drive...nor do i think i would want to have all the storage on 1 500 gig drive, cause if it dies...well that just sucks

but u'd be surprised how quickly u use that HD space... i mean i just did a clean install 10 minutes ago and filled up 21gb installing all my programs and such, wait til i store my moives :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom