Serious computer problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing i could find in bios was

System temp: 32c
CPU temp: 32c

system fan speed: 3200rpm
CPU Fan: 0 rpm
Northbridge fan speed: 5900rpm i don't know if any of this helps but it's all i could find about temp, looked in all the options all i could really find about tempeture. never found it saying shut down when temp reaches.. this temp or nothing like that

Someone might have questioned this but I didn't see as I scanned through the pages. 0 RPM on the CPU fan could be bad in one of two ways - 1) you have a fan on there, just not using the mobo's plug, so you'll need to disable any sensors in the BIOS, or 2) the CPU fan is really ... dead. Either of those possible? :eek: The latter would explain your situation - as it's booting, it heats up quickly and shuts off.

Someone might have questioned this but I didn't see as I scanned through the pages. 0 RPM on the CPU fan could be bad in one of two ways - 1) you have a fan on there, just not using the mobo's plug, so you'll need to disable any sensors in the BIOS, or 2) the CPU fan is really ... dead. Either of those possible? :eek: The latter would explain your situation - as it's booting, it heats up quickly and shuts off.

well i see the cpu you fan on the heatsink moving as soon as the computer turns on so don't know why it says 0..

i did say that earlier, but the computer wouldn't have even stayed on for any amount of time if the cpu fan wasn't on.
ill get a mobo pic and show you the 20/24 connector.

MotherboardB.jpg

the black thing in the bottom right corner with all the holes in it is the connector.

oh, speaking of psu, 20/24 pins and all, do you have any extra holes open on your motherboards main power connector? (the thing in the pic above bottom right, or just look for the thing on your motherboard with the big loom of wires connecting it)

if there are 4 open holes, chances are that your psu is a 20 pin, if the other one you got was also a 20 pin, that could cause some problems, but if it was a 24 pin, id put my money back on the processor.

btw, the exta 4 pins on the motherboard just supply an extra ground, 3.3, 5, and 12v lines. so if you did a barebones boot, then ....cpu

It's a 24 pin power connector. The PSU is a 450w Xion PSU so I'm replacing it tomorrow with a 430w CoolerMaster to see if that fixes it. Tonight I was testing it, trying to plug in power cords to each individual unit inside the case, the two CD-rom drives, the hard drive, the 3 1/4" drive. Each time I'd have NOTHING plugged in except the motherboard, the computer would boot to disk failure due to no OS being installed. As SOON as I plugged in ANYTHING, whether it be the CD-rom drive, the hard drive, the floppy drive, the computer would power on for 1 second and then shut back off. I think it's definitely the PSU. Any thoughts on that?

(This is TiLe, Maki's friend speaking btw. Maki can't check this forum anymore except from my house, so please give feedback and let us know what you think we should replace. He's buying the PSU tomorrow to see if that fixes it. I'm pretty positive it's an intermittent power supply issue with the Xion PSU, being a garbage PSU that came with his case, and since we tossed in a new ATA HD tonight and that didn't fix anything either.)

ohh why didnt you say that in the first place, almost all psu's that come with cases are a miracle if they even turn on.

what the heck did you try for the other psu? you said that in your first or second post that you have already tried another one...

but a high-quality psu would be a nice solid place to start, none of that "comes with the case" garbage psu's. last one of those I had fried both my old HP mobo and a nice 1.0ghz P3 cpu (back in the day, it was teh pwnzr)

ohh why didnt you say that in the first place, almost all psu's that come with cases are a miracle if they even turn on.

what the heck did you try for the other psu? you said that in your first or second post that you have already tried another one...

but a high-quality psu would be a nice solid place to start, none of that "comes with the case" garbage psu's. last one of those I had fried both my old HP mobo and a nice 1.0ghz P3 cpu (back in the day, it was teh pwnzr)
we have tried before i tried a new 550w powersupply but my friend assists we try again, so we will today -.- i myself am scptical that it'll work be he insists it will so we will see later today when he is done with his chorse and i can get back to his house whre my computer is at the moment unbuilt lol i am downsatirs on my aunts computer that has so much spywere and crap that i hate being on it even as a backup computer i've tried to tell them so much to take care of it...but that's another story :p anyways as soon as we know I will reply and let you all know since so meny have been trying to help me out im sure you all wanna know wtf the problem is as much as i do. as well as we found out that didn't mention last night that my compuer has no... whats it called spacers? or something.. cna't think of the name but, i guess the plastic that goes under the mobo to seperate it from the case where the screws are, yeah my comp doesn't have those so ima try to buy some at comp usa when i try to grab a PSU. comp usa is where i had tried the other PSU as well but who knows maybe it was a crappy one, i don't remember. i still don't think this will work myself, if anything i was thinking maybe i need a bigger PSU then 450w or even 550 maybe that's the issue but.. my friend thinks just the brand so. wish us luck.

My computer is finally working thanks to the new PSU. Thanks to everyone and I guess when I tried the other new powersupply, it was also a bad one apperently, just bad luck I guess :( but this second one has works so far with no apperent problem so.. guess we will see in time :p

yea, there are those random power supplies that get past QC. it happens, I have gotten a few lemons myself, but never had the new one have the same problem as the old one!

oh and cheers to your freind on insisting it would fix it!

btw, have you ever tried ordering from newegg, instead of compusa? they are a bit cheaper and ship pretty fast (here say if I were to order on monday, i would have it on wednesday afternoon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom