What in the world is a JUMPER?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a little plastic/metal thing that connnects 2 or more pins to change settings on hardware. In this case you would be moving the jumper to set the optical drive between master, slave, or cable select. Just look at the diagram on the drive to see where you should put it.

When I was in the Coast Guard we used to recover "Jumpers" off the Golden Gate bridge. If we didn't get there in time they became "floaters."

Hehe, I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but I thought it was funny :laughing:

It's a little plastic/metal thing that connnects 2 or more pins to change settings on hardware. In this case you would be moving the jumper to set the optical drive between master, slave, or cable select. Just look at the diagram on the drive to see where you should put it.

correct, also used in BIOS resets, but newer mobos use a boot-fail system and it auto resets

Do you guys think I'll have to use a jumper for ANYTHING when I put my system together? I'm using a p35-ds3r mobo.

The jumper is on the back of the device itself. Look at the third picture in the link you posted. You will have to refer to the documentation with the burner to find out which jumper you need to use. It is a very simple plug and go thing unless you are running a complex hdd raid setup or multiple optical drive array system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom