Fall/winter upgrade planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan1121

Daemon Poster
So the summers coming to an end, and this time im going to be buying a car(halfway there w00t). Unfortunately this has meant i've been unable to spend any money on my computer since i bought it at the end of LAST summer. Well this time around I'll have a job during the school year, so i wont be limited to end of summer cash. I have a lot of idea's for what i want to do, and some problems that need to be addressed. The first major thing that needs upgrading is my graphics card. This thing runs alright, but it's super noisy, and a generation behind. I'm looking at the new 9800 gtx as an option this fall, since not only will i have job money, but birthday money as well. Once I've got that done I'll be looking into sound options, since i have no sound card, and these 10 dollar logitech speakers have less bass then my minivan(like i said, hooray for the new car). Wireless speakers are gonna probably be the best option for me, so if someone could show me a good 5.1 system in the 100-200 range that'd be good, and a good soundcard for price/performance to run it on. The next thing I'll be looking at is vista. When i got this computer i got an OEM version of windows media center, and since i have no tv tuner, it didn't install right, and I've had OS recognition problems ever since (stupid windows media player 11). How buggy is vista going to be about that time? After that im gonna look into a new processor, as i could never get this to overclock right, and im a bit too scared/lazy to try again. When is penryn scheduled to release? Will i need a new motherboard to support it? and if so then what is the AMD alternative? And finally i'll be upgrading my main monitor to something wide screen in the 20-22" range.

So basically what i'd like you guys to help me out with, is helping me know what all i really need, and what kind of budget i'll be looking at, so i can start saving once this car is bought. What are gonna be my best options at this time, and what new stuff is really worth buying. Oh, and i wanna be able to play crysis with uber leet graphics turned up.

Vista isn't as buggy as many people think, now. It's been improving. Since you're looking into playing Crysis, with uber graphics, you should go with Vista, to take advantage of DX10's graphical features.

The processor to look at right now, is the e6750. It is highly overclockable. People are claiming 3.8 on air. If it's too much, then the cheaper e6550 will do just as well. I was going to recommend the q6600, but I wasn't sure if the near $300 price tag, will meet your budget.

Yes...you would need a P35 chipset to support the new processors. Penryn is the mobile processor, for your information. What you're talking about is the desktop version of Penryn, which is the dual core Wolfdale, or quad core Yorkfield.

The new AMD alternatives, are the Phenom X2s and X4s.

With a rough estimate of $1000-1500, you can build a rig ready for Crysis, and future DX10 games.

Vista isn't as buggy as many people think, now. It's been improving. Since you're looking into playing Crysis, with uber graphics, you should go with Vista, to take advantage of DX10's graphical features.

The processor to look at right now, is the e6750. It is highly overclockable. People are claiming 3.8 on air. If it's too much, then the cheaper e6550 will do just as well. I was going to recommend the q6600, but I wasn't sure if the near $300 price tag, will meet your budget.

Yes...you would need a P35 chipset to support the new processors. Penryn is the mobile processor, for your information. What you're talking about is the desktop version of Penryn, which is the dual core Wolfdale, or quad core Yorkfield.

The new AMD alternatives, are the Phenom X2s and X4s.

With a rough estimate of $1000-1500, you can build a rig ready for Crysis, and future DX10 games.

man am i late... anywho yes exactly it, but don't expect current dx 10 cards to max out Crysis, 9 series will do it easily but it isn't out for a while...

The current DX10s should max out Crysis on low resolutions though. But he's planning on playing at 1680 x 1050. Anyway he's going for the 9800GTX.

Yeah, this is all just kind of planning for the fall, as right now im still saving for my car. A lot of good responses, thanks guys. I can't spend really until like october, as i have to pay off halo 3 legendary edition, and im gettin an xbox 360 elite in september. So October, November, December is when im looking at upgrading.
*waits for The End to come trash xbox's*

Yea, don't expect to max out Crysis on any video card for a year or so after it comes out.

I'll be using my 8800GTS for crysis, I'm pretty stoked for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom