Motherboard Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now it shows...

Well he needs the whole system. Including monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc... So what I suggested, is just right for him.

edit:
Dude....why the striker extreme and e6850? Those are highly unnecessary. Just get the e6750 and P35-DS3R motherboard. Saves you a ton of money, to spend on other parts. And get the Crucial Ballistixs, instead. Cheaper, and they overclocked excellently.

Well, I've joined and browsed through Newegg and it looks like a kickass site. Here's the configuration I put together based on the suggestions in this thread. I decided against getting one of the new Intel chips because they're so much more expensive than the AMD I chose, which I prefer anyway for its processing speed and superior multitasking capability.

Case - X-DISCOVERY Black Steel
Motherboard - Foxconn C51XEM2AA
Power Supply - Rosewill RP500-2 ATX 2.01 500W
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache
CPU Fan/Heatsink - ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Heatsink
RAM - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
Video Card - GeForce 8500GT 512MB
CD/DVD Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc Black
Media/Card Reader - LOGISYS FP521 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader
Monitor - Acer Black 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor
Keyboard/Mouse - Microsoft Comfort Curve Black USB Keyboard and Mouse
Speakers - Logitech X-530 70 watts RMS 5.1 Black Speaker System
OS - Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders
Additional Software - Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007

Total comes to $1,395.24 with shipping. Again, I'm totally open to suggestions about this system.

a few things:
the intel 6450 will clock as high as the 6000, and run many applications faster. you will have to overclock it though, at stock it will not be as fast as the 6000. the closest to the 6000 will be the 6600 with a pretty good overclock, or the 6750 pretty mcuh stock will beat it. you are correct, anything above the 6450 costs more than the 6000. i would love to welcome another member into the AMD family, but you should consider the intels. if you already have, fine. go for the amd as the 6000 is a marvelous cpu in any event.
you should get an 8600gts video card. it costs more, but it will be immensely better for gaming than that 8500gt. i guess that depends on how much gaming you do.
i am not sure about this, but you may want another gb of ram (make sure you buy 2 x 512mb, or another 2gb set so you will keep it in dual channel). i think vista 64-bit is going to want more ram than 2gb. someone who has vista can tell you that for sure.
the mobo you have picked out is an SLI mobo (two pcie 16 slots for two graphics cards). the psu you have selected will not power two cards, it only has one connector. if you aren't going to use SLI, its no big deal. but i would get a psu that supports it...if you come across another card for cheap SLI is awesome as long as you do not pay retail for the 2nd card.
i have the same hsf, and i love it. and its pretty.
those are my suggestions.

Actually, I wasn't sure about that. I've never done it before, but I know others who have, and I could also ask the people on this board if I ever wanted to.

Nagasama, thanks for bringing some of that stuff to light. I'll look into it; my current config is by no means set in stone.

Actually, I wasn't sure about that. I've never done it before, but I know others who have, and I could also ask the people on this board if I ever wanted to.

Nagasama, thanks for bringing some of that stuff to light. I'll look into it; my current config is by no means set in stone.
If you are overclocking, the C51XEM2AA is the board to do it with.

I have a C51XEM2AA with a 6000+, and I've been able to overclock past 3.5GHZ

Coupled with my 8800 GTS 320MB card at 630MHZ, I can break 10,200 points in 3dmark06

Although if you get an X2 3600+ (Brisbane core), they can overclock past 3GHZ.
In fact it's very likely to with the C51XEM2AA

The only thing is, you don't get the 2x1MB L2 cache with the Brisbane core CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom