Building my new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

indie

Solid State Member
Hey i am just away to buy a new computer, and for the first time im gona build it myself. Was just wondering if someone could take a look at what im thinking about and let me know if its any good or if theres anything else you'd change or suggest.

Also i heard somewhere that the Quad Core processors only work well with a specific Operating System. Is this true? would it be better to go with vista or stick with XP Pro SP2?

This is my list of components:

Asus P5N-E SLI 650i Socket 775 Onboard Audio ATX
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair)
Ebuyer 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 240pin Extra Value Ram
Maxtor STM3160215AS 160GB SATAII 7200RPM 2MB Cache - OEM
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Soundcard - OEM
Samsung SH-S203B 20X DVD±RW/RAM / DL Serial ATA Black Bare Drive - OEM
Extra Value Gold 600W 12cm Fan Silent PSU - PFC 20+4pin
Antec Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU
Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Socket 775 CPU Cooler

(My graphics card is the Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX but i already own that)

Thanks for the help!

Looks ok....

Processor and OS compatibility don't have to do anything with each other. A quad core processor, can work with either Vista or XP. Stick with XP for now, unless you plan on gaming with DX10, then go with Vista.

The components listed, look OK...but I have a few suggestions.

The motherboard to get now, is the Gigabyte P35-DS3R.

Try and get a Seagate or Western Digital hard drive. They're the top two trusted brands of hard drives.

For the power supply, look for reliable brands. Not some unknown or value one. You definitely, don't want to skimp on this component. Look for brands like FSP, Corsair, Rosewill, XClio, Enermax, Antec, or HIPER.

Yea I think your hard drive cache is to low, 16MB is now prefer on many SATAII HD, while 8MB you'll see on only PATA(IDE).

Also the RAMs, if you aren't going to overclock they should do you fine but I would opt for something with better quality. Like G.Skill, Crucial, Corsair or Kingston. I recommend Crucial Ballistix Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Look at the price, you can't beat that.

The P5N-E is a very good motherboard for the price if you want to run SLI than you really can't get the P35-DS3R. But the P5N-E only runs the card at 8x 8x but still good enough. The P5N-E and P35-DS3R are both good with the exception that the Asus has SLI support..

And yes..don't skimp on the PSU.

Hey, cheers for all the advice so far guys. Could you explain what you mean by the P5N-E only runs the card at 8x 8x?

Thankx again

He meant if you were to run two graphic cards in SLI, on the P5N-E motherboard, they would only run in 8x 8x mode, instead of the full 16x 16x mode. But it doesn't matter, because graphic cards now, don't even use up all the bandwidth of the PCIe slots.

He meant if you were to run two graphic cards in SLI, on the P5N-E motherboard, they would only run in 8x 8x mode, instead of the full 16x 16x mode. But it doesn't matter, because graphic cards now, don't even use up all the bandwidth of the PCIe slots.

correct, see if u can get better RAM, cuz if u can splurge for q6600, get some g-skill HZ or Crucial Ballistix or XMS2 RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom