help me choose a laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

antialias1337

Baseband Member
k, here it is. im looking for a touch screen laptop but one that has a good integrated graphics or dedicated would be even better. and like it to be under 1500 bucks or less, have at least 2 hours of battery life more would also be better. im eyeing on 2 cheap ones the hp tx1000z for 949 bucks plus another 200 for upgrades and a case for around 1250 bucks.

or for about the same the gateway version. the gateway version has a better touchscreen i hear, so how much better is it? the actve vs passive? the drawback for the gateway is for the same price as the hp with upgrades it only has 1gb of ram, a gma950 vs nvidia6150 and lacks more features that are present with the hp.

Ive done some reading on reviews and its been pretty good for the hp but i have seen some that have written bad about it like strange noises and errors with doing certian tasks with it. plus according to the hp site it should be getting 3.5 hours with the 6 cell battery, yet people are reporting only 2 hours or even less.

the gateway doesn't have many reviews at all, all the people refer to touchscreens that cost around 1800 or better but thats a tad much for what it can do. which one of these is the best choice? thanks. my current laptop i have has a dedicated but weak atix600 graphics card, is the 6150 worse or better than that? thankyou!

$opening = "::wavewave::";

echo = "I can't really tell you which one to pick, or suggest a better one than those. I can give you some general facts though. As a computer tech I work on more Dell's than any other computers. E-Machines are next on the list, with HP's very close to them. I don't work on many gateways, as they don't break down very often. When they do break down, it's usually some type of software issue. HP's usually needs a replacement part, and for laptops, usually means another motherboard for around 600 bucks. With a touch screen, it might be more expensive for a replacement part.";

echo = "If you are looking for quality, Toshiba and Sony will probably be your best bet. Sony has been the leading hardware distributor for a long while, and consumer magazine ranked Toshiba as beating them the past few years. They are a bit more expensive, but for a valid reason.";

echo = "Good Luck in your choice!";

I would go with HP, because I really hate Gateway.

Find that HP Model on the HP website, and customize it as much as you like.

thankyou for replying!!!!

the current laptop i have is a gateway mx7525. its pretty good and is quite fast, and the graphics x600 is pretty decent for running games at medium settings. Im selling it because it just bulky and battery life is only 1 hour or a little bit more, used to be 1 hour and 40 mins, but thats expected for batteries. gateways usually lack on features and put more towards raw performance which is a good thing.

Ive found one gateway notebook that has a dedicated card plus its active touchscreen aswell. the Gateway® C-140X. how much better is the x2300 HD mobile ati graphics to the 6150? is it worth the extra 100 bucks to the intel 1300? the processor from amd and intel on this level i bet is about name rather than actual performance, but im guessing intel uses less power im thinking.

im really looking for one that has touchscreen, has some multimedia, some gaming capabilities, all in one small form.

Well I will tell you one thing - these types of laptops are in no way made for gaming - especially if you want to play the games that are coming out now.

I will have to do some more research, but I don't have time right now. I will reply back when I get some answers for you.

GATEWAY C-140X QS

Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7100 (1.80GHz, 800MHz, 2MB L2 Cache)

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (32-bit)

Memory 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024MB modules)

Hard Drive 80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

Optical Drive 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW with DVD-RAM

Chassis Chassis w/ Integrated Intel® GMA X3100 Graphics (with up to 384MB Shared Memory*) and Fingerprint Reader

Bluetooth Bluetooth Wireless Networking Module

Adapter 65 Watt AC Adapter

Application Software Microsoft® Works® 8.5

Backup Media Cyberlink Power2Go (for Windows Vista® Home Premium and Ultimate)

Battery Primary 8-Cell Lithium Ion battery w/ 1 Yr. limited battery warranty

Display 14.0" WXGA TFT Active Matrix (1280 x 768 max. resolution) w/ Gateway® Executive Stylus (by WACOM™)

Expansion Slots One type II PC card slot

External Ports (3) USB 2.0, VGA, IEEE 1394 (FireWire)

Keyboard and Mouse Full-Size Keyboard and EZ Pad® Pointing Device

Media Card Reader 7-in-1 media card reader (Memory Stick®, MemoryStick Pro®, MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital™, xD-Picture Card, Mini Secure Digital®, RS-Multimedia Card™)

Modem Integrated V.92 56K modem

Network Integrated Intel® 10/100/1000 Ethernet Adapter

Operating System Backup Media Windows Vista® Ultimate Backup Media (32-bit)

Security Software McAfee® 90-day Internet Security Suite Complimentary Subscription with VirusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, SpamKiller & Privacy Service v. 1.2 (for Windows Vista®)

Software Documentation End User License Agreement for Non-Microsoft Software

Standard Software Adobe® Acrobat Reader® 7.0

Warranty 1 Year Value Plan (Tech Support - Parts - Factory Labor)

Wireless Network Integrated Intel® 3945 802.11a/b/g wireless networking

Total: $1,557.65 INCLUDING SHIPPING AND TAXES

VS

GATEWAY C-140X

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5250 (1.50GHz, 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache)

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit)

Memory 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024MB modules) [$150.00]

Hard Drive 80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

Optical Drive 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW with DVD-RAM [$49.00]

Chassis Chassis w/ ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X2300 HD 256MB PCI Express Graphics (128MB GDDR3 Dedicated Memory with up to 256MB using HyperMemory™ Technology) and Fingerprint Reader [$129.00]

Adapter 90 Watt AC Adapter

Battery Primary 8-Cell Lithium Ion battery w/ 1 Yr. limited battery warranty

Display 14.0" WXGA TFT Active Matrix (1280 x 768 max. resolution) w/ Gateway® Executive Stylus (by WACOM™)

Expansion Slots One type II PC card slot

External Ports (3) USB 2.0, VGA, IEEE 1394 (FireWire)

Keyboard and Mouse Full-Size Keyboard and EZ Pad® Pointing Device

Media Card Reader 7-in-1 media card reader (Memory Stick®, MemoryStick Pro®, MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital™, xD-Picture Card, Mini Secure Digital®, RS-Multimedia Card™)

Modem Integrated V.92 56K modem

Network Integrated Intel® 10/100/1000 Ethernet Adapter

Operating System Backup Media Windows Vista® Home Premium Backup Media (32-bit)

Security Software McAfee® 90-day Internet Security Suite Complimentary Subscription with VirusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, SpamKiller & Privacy Service v. 1.2 (for Windows Vista®)

Software Documentation End User License Agreement for Non-Microsoft Software

Standard Software Adobe® Acrobat Reader® 7.0

Warranty 1 Year Value Plan (Tech Support - Parts - Factory Labor)

Wireless Network Integrated Intel® 3945 802.11a/b/g wireless networking

TOTAL: 1,403.06 INCLUDING SHIPPING AND TAXES

VS

HP TX1000Z SERIES

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

Processor AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56 (1.8 GHz, 512KB+512KB L2 Cache )

12.1"WXGA High-Def HP BrightView Widescreen Display(1280 x 800) w/Integrated Touch-screen!!

Memory $50 OFF upgrade from 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) to 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)!

Graphics Card NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 6150

HP Imprint Finish + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone

Networking 802.11a/b/g/n (draft 802.11n) WLAN and Bluetooth

Hard Drive FREE Upgrade from 80GB 5400RPM to 120GB 5400RPM

Primary CD/DVD Drive FREE Upgrade to LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support

Primary Battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

OS and Recovery Media System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

Carrying Cases Case Logic Notebook Computer Sleeve

AC Adapters & Batteries HP 90W Auto/Truck Adapter

HP extended service plans 1-year HP Accidental Damage Protection with Express Repair extended service plan

TOTAL: $1,483.57 INCLUDING TAXES AND SHIPPING

the gateway is a good deal from the baseline price but the upgrades are extremely rip offs, the upgrades offer by hp are way cheaper though, is the ati3200 HD way better than the 6150?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom